Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZFK  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 5:19:49 AM(UTC)
ZFK

Groups: Registered

I have an approximately 7 year old Estate Washer that I have a problem with. My wife loaded the clothes, put the soap in and then turned the machine one. An hour and a half later she went to get them out and it it was basically in the same position as when she left it. We manually moved it to the rinse and spin cycle and it seems that the clothes are not clean as it did not fully agitate them. Im thinking its the timer, but if anyone else has had experience with this similar problem Im open to suggestions.

Model: TAWS800JQ3
Estate by Whirlpool
Approx 7 years old.

Thanks for all the help and the great website!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:47:07 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Can you tell us if it would fill and then stop, or did it not fill and the timer did not move at all.

Also, if you moved the timer slightly would it start to fill, and does it do this in all cycles?

The more info you can give us the more likely what we diagnose will be right.
ZFK  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:15:41 PM(UTC)
ZFK

Yep, it filled with no problems, and then it was "stuck" in the agitate mode. We then manually moved the timer to the other positions to pump the water out and rinse the clothes. Yes, it filled when it was supposed to fill in all locations but would be stuck and would not progress to the next cycle. It did this in all cycles (perm press, normal, etc).

thanks for your help
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:33:31 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

If it will not spin, check out the coupling using the procedures in this video.

YouTube - Washing Machine Drive Motor Coupler Replacement (part #285753A)
ZFK  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:57:33 PM(UTC)
ZFK

It spun when manually moved into the spin position.
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:44:39 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Ok, sounds like the machine is mechanically ok, which suggests the timer is the issue.
ZFK  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:03:54 AM(UTC)
ZFK

Sid - Thanks for confirming my thoughts. My next question, i found a site that has the timer for $84.00 + shipping. If i purchase that and install it, how long would you expect before something else happens to the washer. I question this because I can buy a used washer (I dont want to buy new due to water conditions) for less than $150.00
Thanks for all of your help
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:14:29 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well that is a very good price for the timer, but make sure you are getting a new one, and check the warranty and returns policy in case the new timer does not fix things.

You have a direct drive washer made by Whirlpool, in fact, other than the Estate name yours is identifical to a machine sold under the Whirlpool brand. Putting the Estate name on the machine is a way for Whirlpool to cut the price for some models without cannibalizing the Whirlpool brand.

The direct drive machine is probably the best designed washer that has ever been made. It generally lasts a long time, is easy to fix and the parts are inexpensive. Unless you can get a late model used Whirlpool direct drive in good condition I suggest you keep your machine.