Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jzielinski49@comcast.net  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2011 8:54:53 AM(UTC)
jzielinski49@comcast.net

Groups: Registered

My refrigerator food section is normally set at 36-38 deg. and will operate this way for days. Then it starts to warm up to 42-45 deg f even when the temp setting is on max cold. I have a thermometer inside the refrigerator and check the temperature in the morning after it has been closed all night (10-12 hrs) and has a chance to stabilize. Compressor, fans, defrost heaters, all operate normally and the coils are clean.

It appears the temperature controller drifts to warmer setting. I have unplugged the unit for a minute to allow the electonics to restart and it has gone back to normal operation. Cutting power has not worked this time.

This model Has an electronic control board in the refrigerator section a system control board in the base and a remote mount thermocouple temp sensor.

Any thoughts on what could cause this lack of response in the temperature control system? Thanks, Jack
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 1:10:40 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ED5LHAXML12 REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet,

I would say that the control board (Item 18 in Section 9) is the problem.

I base this on the fact that unplugging it was resetting the unit so it has to be an electronic part.
File Attachment(s):
ED5LHAX.pdf (696kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jzielinski49@comcast.net  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 4:25:48 AM(UTC)
jzielinski49@comcast.net

Groups: Registered

What about the electronic control board Page 11 item #6 . Does this have a microprocessor to read the temperature input from the temp sensor to tell the compressor when to run? Do you have any fault tree info on this control board?

Both electronic control boards are expensive so I'm just trying to be sure. Thanks, Jack
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 6:59:59 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Does this have a microprocessor to read the temperature input from the temp sensor to tell the compressor when to run?[/COLOR]
Yes it controls the compressor, the fans and the defrost.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Do you have any fault tree info on this control board?[/COLOR]
Just the diagnostics on the tech sheet.
One thing you may want to check is if the condenser/compressor fan is on and the temperature is rising then you may have a compressor problem. This fan and the compressor are wired in parallel so whenever the fan is on the compressor should be on.

Basically it is just my best guess.
Also I am assuming that the compressor was not running when the temperature was rising and when you unplugged it the compressor came back on as soon as you reapplied power.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply