Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ajitphoto  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:22:21 PM(UTC)
ajitphoto

Groups: Registered

This is wall oven. The microwave is on top and the conventional oven is on the bottom, all in a single unit.

1. The Microwave heating has become intermittent. Most of the times everything works. Sometimes the fan runs but it does not heat. Does this mean the magnetron is about to go? Or the high voltage transformer? or some connection is loose? Can it be the control board?

2. The light in the microwave stopped working about a year ago, replacing the bulb did not help. Does this mean the control board is bad?

3. The lower conventional oven works fine.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2011 5:09:01 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The first thing you may want to check is how properly the door switches are engaged when the door is closed.

- The door switch Part number: AP2024194
ajitphoto  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2011 6:48:42 PM(UTC)
ajitphoto

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
The first thing you may want to check is how properly the door switches are engaged when the door is closed.

- The door switch Part number: AP2024194

Thanks Gene for your quick reply. Once I turn off all power and open the front and locate the switch, are there continuity tests I should do to check the switch or check its mechanical function? I assume I need to do this before ordering a new switch. Also is the light inside not working related to a defective door switch? I am a retired mechanical engineer so my electrical knowledge is not good, hope you understand why I am asking these questions. Thank you.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:18:08 PM(UTC)
Gene

The switches have to be checked for continuity with the door closed. There are tree switches. Two of them are interlock switches and one is the monitor switch. You have to check the interlock switches. They are normally open while the monitor switch is normally closed. The interlock switches usually located one on the top and one on the bottom of the door frame.

If the interior light does not work when the microwave is on, then more likely the problem is a bad light bulb or its socket.

Gene.
ajitphoto  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2011 3:10:32 PM(UTC)
ajitphoto

The switches have to be checked for continuity with the door closed. There are tree switches. Two of them are interlock switches and one is the monitor switch. You have to check the interlock switches. They are normally open while the monitor switch is normally closed. The interlock switches usually located one on the top and one on the bottom of the door frame.

If the interior light does not work when the microwave is on, then more likely the problem is a bad light bulb or its socket.

Gene.

Gene,
Thanks again for your prompt reply.
1. I need one clarification. I know there are two door switches (#776) as shown your web site for drawings of the Microwave. I note that there are two prongs(hooks) on the Microwave door, one at the top and one at the bottom. Where the bottom one enters the door frame, I can push on the moving white plastic piece and hear a click. However there is no such moving part where the top prong enters the door frame. So my question is what activates the secondary door switch? Is it behind the second(top) door prong? For reference see the circuit I looked on the net: The Interlock Switches Used In Microwave Ovens.
2. I have replaced a fuse on this oven many years ago, so I know how to open the front panel on the right of the microwave, it simply drops down. Then I assume both the door (interlock) switches are simply to the left, just where the two door hooks enter the frame. Am I correct?
Thanks for your help.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2011 3:49:27 PM(UTC)
Gene

It's better to see once than to hear 100 times. :)

Open the control panel and you will see everything.

Gene.
ajitphoto  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:55:56 PM(UTC)
ajitphoto

It's better to see once than to hear 100 times. :)

Open the control panel and you will see everything.

Gene.

Gene,

Thank you for your help. I checked the switches and the lower door switch was defective and the contact was burned. I replaced the switch and rewired a new clip on the wires and the microwave works! I appreciate your help.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:07:24 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. I'm glad it's up and running.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply