Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ljt24  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:13:03 AM(UTC)
Ljt24

Groups: Registered

When I set my oven to bake 350 degrees, the temperature starts to rise. According to the display, it goes to about 145 degrees, then I hear the gas light. At about 160 degrees, the gas goes off. A couple of seconds later the oven makes popping noises, seems the gas is lighting and then going out in rapid succession.

The broiler works fine as do the burners.

As stated above, it is a Maytag MGS5870ADW. It is a convection oven (this occurs on bake without convection as well as with convection). I purchased the oven in 2001. I had a repairman out to my house for my refrigerator and asked him about my oven. He said it was the ignitor, but had no time to deal with my oven. In looking at the diagrams for the gas parts on your web site and in talking to one of your sales reps, there does not appear to be a separate ignitor for baking as opposed to broiling. I'm confused about this as the ignitor that I can see in my oven only glows when the broiler is on, yet I hear the gas light and can see it burning during the cycling noises I hear when my oven is on bake.

I'd greatly appreciate any help you could give me. Thank you in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 9:56:23 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello

Your oven has two igniters, one for the bake burner (#17 on the gas controls break down diagram) and one for the broil burner (#16 on the gas controls break down diagram). It shows only one igniter (#13 on the gas controls break down diagram) because both igniters are the same.

Check if the 120V coming to the bake igniter during the Bake mode. Replace the igniter if there is a proper voltage.

- The part number for the new oven igniter AP3455359

The oven igniter (bake and broil)

UserPostedImage

- Here are the break down diagrams for the Maytag range Model MGS5870ADW

Good luck.
Gene.
Ljt24  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 10:39:49 AM(UTC)
Ljt24

Groups: Registered

Thank you for your help. Is the bake ignitor under the metal at the bottom of the oven? Do I need to remove the back to get to it? Thank you again!
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:17:27 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just remove the floor from the oven and you'll see it. To get the access to wires pull out the storage drawer on the bottom.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply