Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
robcam1138  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:03:19 PM(UTC)
robcam1138

Groups: Registered

Hi,
Thanks in advance for any help or ideas you can give me. I have a 14 year old Maytag washer that filled up with water during a normal wash and then just died. No power, no lights, nothing. I pulled out the clothes and hand scooped the water out. I checked the outlet and its getting power. I then read the forums here and suspected a lid switch malfunction so I installed a new complete lid switch assembly. Still no power of any kind. Is there anything else I can try that might keep this old machine going? Or should I just go out and get a new one? Thanks-Rob
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:59:56 PM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

I guess you installed the whole lid switch assembly, with the 2 switches and the fuse. When you lower the lid, do you hear the switch? If so you could have a timer problem. If not you did not install right. Tom
robcam1138  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 5:40:33 PM(UTC)
robcam1138

Hi, Yes I installed the whole unit with the 2 switches and fuse. I can hear it clicking when I open and close the lid. Is there anyway to test the timer (perhaps with a multimeter?). Thanks for your help. Rob
denman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 6:15:51 PM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is your parts breakdown with a wiring diagram
Model LAT8405AAE

Here is a service manual. Although your specific Model Number is not shown a LAT8404 should be close.
http://www.servicematters.com/m...6010373%20(16001145).pdf

Since even the on light is off it could be the line cord itself or the on/off switch or a broken wire/connector. These are the only components in the on light circuit. All can be checked with a meter.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
kayakcrzy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:26:00 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

yes you can check for power with the meter. the best place to check is the light circuit to see if you have power coming to it. turn the timer dial to wash, and pull it out, and see if you have power accross terminals l1 to sw, or you can put the washer in a spin cycle, and check contacts 22 to 32, and see if you have power. if the lid switch is good, and you have checked power at the plug, where it comes into the washer, behind the control board, that would let us know that you have power, and the cord is good. be sure the fuse also on the switch assembly is good. if all this checks good i would go with the timer. tom
robcam1138  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 3:12:53 PM(UTC)
robcam1138

Thanks for all your advice. I replaced the lid assembly set with no luck. I was getting ready to junk it when I plugged it in and started moving the wiring going into the timer when suddenly the power kicked on. Turns out to be a loose wire in there somewhere. I rigged it up with some electrical tape so that the connection is secure but cant figure out how to take the wire out of the timer. Not the best solution but its working fine. Thanks again.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply