Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
themobe  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:07:58 PM(UTC)
themobe

Groups: Registered

Fridigaire Electric dryer. GLEQ642AS2. Replaced the drum bearing with kit. Replaced motor. I makes a loud noise like the motor is laboring with and without the drum belt on. It only makes the noise if the heat is on. I cleaned every inch inside the blower and tubing. Good air flow. Can't figure this one out.

Any thoughts? :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

MarkW63  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2011 5:24:33 PM(UTC)
MarkW63

I read you post regarding the noise "buzzing", when the heat is on. I have similar problem and can't seem to figure it out. Did you come up with anything?

My symptoms are this: The dryer runs quite when the heat is not on.
Then the heat cycles on, and as the heat begins to build and gets to a higher heat, there is a rumble/buzz. This noise stays on until the heat shuts off and the temp drops to a certain level, the buzzing drops off and the heater goes to quite again....

Please let me know what your thoughts might be on this and things I can check.

The inside blower area is really clean.

Mark
themobe  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:30:24 AM(UTC)
themobe

After a very frustrating trouble shooting process I found it was the plastic blower impeller. I apparently changes shape when it heats up and gets out of balance.

I changed the motor because I thought it was the bearing, only to have the same noise.

I found on several sites that this particular dryer is a constant source of problems, and it being only 6 years old I decided I didn't want to contend with it anymore, so I bought a new set.

I still have the new motor if you want it. You can have it. It only ran for ten minutes of testing time.

Good Luck,

Steve
MarkW63  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:26:33 AM(UTC)
MarkW63

If I understand correctly, it will likely be resolved if I replace the plastic impeller. Seems pretty easy to do. How do you loosen the nut on the impeller shaft without turning the motor...is there a lock slot somewhere...or do you have to take the motor completely out to access the shaft to replace the impeller.
Jerry M  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 10:18:53 AM(UTC)
Jerry M

I see that this thread is now a few years old. I recently had the same noise problem with my 11 year old Frigidaire gas dryer. Not wanting to spend money just "guessing" what the cause might be. I paid an appliance repair person $79 to come out to the house, take it apart and look at it, he said it was a bearing in the motor, so I told him forget it, I'd just buy a new dryer. Then I looked up the price of a new motor and found it to be a Whole Lot Less than a new dryer. So I replaced the motor myself but the noise still persisted. So then I replaced the Plastic Blower Housing Assembly (it's what I thought was probably the source of the noise in the first place) and that solved the problem. After removing the old blower housing unit and being able to pick it up and look at it. I could see that some of the blades on the fan were broken or cracked. Couldn't see that while it was still mounted in the dryer.

Anyway, maybe this post will be helpful to anyone else searching for answers for the same problem. I would suggest removing the blower housing assembly so you can give it a good inspection.
jimzeke  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 10:00:45 AM(UTC)
jimzeke

This was my issue as well, and I want to thank you for taking the time to post even though the original post was several years old. The description of the problem makes no sense to anyone I talked to about it, and I could not find anything online about it until I found your comments - and I replace the blower assembly and it is now fixed! Thank you again!

Originally Posted by: Jerry M Go to Quoted Post
I see that this thread is now a few years old. I recently had the same noise problem with my 11 year old Frigidaire gas dryer. Not wanting to spend money just "guessing" what the cause might be. I paid an appliance repair person $79 to come out to the house, take it apart and look at it, he said it was a bearing in the motor, so I told him forget it, I'd just buy a new dryer. Then I looked up the price of a new motor and found it to be a Whole Lot Less than a new dryer. So I replaced the motor myself but the noise still persisted. So then I replaced the Plastic Blower Housing Assembly (it's what I thought was probably the source of the noise in the first place) and that solved the problem. After removing the old blower housing unit and being able to pick it up and look at it. I could see that some of the blades on the fan were broken or cracked. Couldn't see that while it was still mounted in the dryer.

Anyway, maybe this post will be helpful to anyone else searching for answers for the same problem. I would suggest removing the blower housing assembly so you can give it a good inspection.
Jerry M  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:28:41 PM(UTC)
Jerry M

Originally Posted by: jimzeke Go to Quoted Post
This was my issue as well, and I want to thank you for taking the time to post even though the original post was several years old. The description of the problem makes no sense to anyone I talked to about it, and I could not find anything online about it until I found your comments - and I replace the blower assembly and it is now fixed! Thank you again!

Glad it helped you out jimzeke. The whole experience was so frustrating. I was hoping that posting might save someone else the same frustration. It's now 7 going on 8 months since and it still works fine. You're welcome.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply