Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
clowder64  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2007 6:19:29 PM(UTC)
clowder64

Groups: Registered

Over the last few weeks I have noticed my freezer is continuing to be less and less cold. Popcycles, icecream, etc. will not freeze and the ice was solid but not crystal as before. As of today, the icemaker does not seem to be making ice.
Earlier this year I noticed the refrigerator section was freezing the milk but now has been fine.
Someone had mentioned I may have a blown capacitor, but I am wondering if I may have a thermostat that is out. Any suggestions on what steps to take?

It is a top/bottom with the freezer on top.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Adam / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2007 2:21:27 PM(UTC)
Adam / APP Team

Groups: Administrators

Hello clowder64,

If you have ice building up you may have a defrost problem which consists of three parts.
The heater, thermostat and timer.

Rule out the two before replacing the timer because the timer is a little more complex.
If you have an ohm meter set it at the lowest setting ( RX1 ) to check continuity on both the heater and the thermostat.
The heater should have continuity.
The thermostat will also have continuity when frozen

Be sure to isolate the parts by disconnecting the wires for accurate testing.

The heater and thermostat are located behind the back wall in the freezer section near the evaporator.
The timer is either in the control housing with the cold control that adjusts the temperature in the fresh food section or down on the bottom behind the kick plate.

If you don't have a defrost problem and you have the cold control set high enough, both the condenser and evaporator motors are running and you have cleaned the condenser coils then you may have a sealed system problem.

PLEASE PROVIDE COMPLETE MODEL AND MANUFACTURER NUMBER WHEN ORDERING PARTS
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply