Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
geopharmer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:18:14 AM(UTC)
geopharmer

Groups: Registered

We started the cleaning cycle. It stopped well before the expected 3+ hours of cleaning and the LEDs on front panel went out. Even a day later, door will not open and oven will not respond at all (gas range still works). Online research suggested to replace thermostat part number WPL4450249. I did the simple replacement and still no response. I noticed that some white/insulated wires coming out of the insulated part of oven and connected to harnesses on back of the unit appear brown/slightly charred around/within insulated area. Is this normal? I suspect it may be normal since that's a hot area, etc. Or is that part of the problem (that is, something is fried within the insulated areas of the oven - perhaps the parts of the wires I cannot see without opening another panel)? If it's not the thermostat, what can it be? I've read that some other models also have a thermal fuse. Does this model have a thermal fuse in addition to the thermostat part mentioned above? Is the whole control panel ruined or some circuit board? Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I can purchase another part and do it myself I would prefer to try that instead of allowing Kitchen Aid to make any more money from me.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

geopharmer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:18:46 AM(UTC)
geopharmer

I may not have read other posts as closely as I should have. Also, I learned it is important to review all the model's parts pages closely even after you have found a specific part by name on one particular page. As it turns out, there are two thermostats on this model oven. One is in the back and is listed on the "oven parts" page. The other is in the front of the oven (behind the front panel) and is listed on the "burner box and manifold parts" page. The front thermostat was the problem. Remove the front burner knobs and four screws holding the panel in place. Also, remove the ventilated trim piece just below the front panel after opening the oven door. Use a hook to open oven door if it's locked (see other posts on how to do so). Be careful the front panel doesn't fall unexpectedly (it's best to have a helper hold it while you replace the thermostat so you don't have to disconnect all the wires or risk breaking a solder or other connection). I was told by an electrician to try placing the thermostat in the freezer to reset it; he wasn't sure it would work and I will test it today. In any case, this was a very easy do-it-yourself fix and the thermostats only cost about $40 each! Save yourself the cost of calling in a repairman and do it yourself after buying the part from AppliancePartsPros (the company got me the part the next day with standard shipping and at a cost significantly less than Whirlpool even after paying the shipping fee!).
Johnmichelsr  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:13:08 AM(UTC)
Johnmichelsr

Originally Posted by: geopharmer Go to Quoted Post
We started the cleaning cycle. It stopped well before the expected 3+ hours of cleaning and the LEDs on front panel went out. Even a day later, door will not open and oven will not respond at all (gas range still works). Online research suggested to replace thermostat part number WPL4450249. I did the simple replacement and still no response. I noticed that some white/insulated wires coming out of the insulated part of oven and connected to harnesses on back of the unit appear brown/slightly charred around/within insulated area. Is this normal? I suspect it may be normal since that's a hot area, etc. Or is that part of the problem (that is, something is fried within the insulated areas of the oven - perhaps the parts of the wires I cannot see Gold coast carpet cleaners without opening another panel)? If it's not the thermostat, what can it be? I've read that some other models also have a thermal fuse. Does this model have a thermal fuse in addition to the thermostat part mentioned above? Is the whole control panel ruined or some circuit board? Any suggestions would be appreciated. If I can purchase another part and do it myself I would prefer to try that instead of allowing Kitchen Aid to make any more money from me.

This is the biggest reason I dont undertake cleaning task of delicate and expensive appliances. We are unaware about some important section which in the end lead to certain happening. You can call some expert for oven there must be some minor problem