Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
saiber77  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:42:08 PM(UTC)
saiber77

Groups: Registered

TDX11SNYAWH

Hello, first I'd like to say hello and give some thanks in advance for anything that you appliance pros may do to attempt helping me, the ability to troubleshoot and repair your own devices is priceless. I already ordered parts for my dryer through the parts section about 4 months ago and repaired my broken dryer for a very reasonable price.

Now for the issue at hand, my Fridge which is a GE TDX11SNYAWH, is having some problems, not sure if it is just a simple thermostat issue or something else but would like to get some professional advice before I start ordering parts.

It's a pretty straightforward issue, I haven't timed it but it appears that randomly several times a day (sometimes less, sometimes more) the fridge defrosts or "turns off" its cooling function and everything begins to defrost and warm up. Usually the thermostat can be turned to the off position for a moment and switched back on with the compressor kicking back on. The back cooling plate inside the refrigeration section builds up a thin layer of frost, before it began doing this it used to build up a very thick layer of frost on the back plate in the fridge section, and temp regulation seems to be a problem as a lot of produce and liquids seem to freeze if turned up too high.

Any help would be appreciated and hope someone can be forthcoming with an answer as I would prefer not to shop for a fridge with this same set of dimensions as the original builders of the unit I'm living in built the kitchen counters to only accommodate this fridge without room for anything else and the depth/width are not that common.

Thanks and regards.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:30:08 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: saiber77 Go to Quoted Post
TDX11SNYAWH

Hello, first I'd like to say hello and give some thanks in advance for anything that you appliance pros may do to attempt helping me, the ability to troubleshoot and repair your own devices is priceless. I already ordered parts for my dryer through the parts section about 4 months ago and repaired my broken dryer for a very reasonable price.

Now for the issue at hand, my Fridge which is a GE TDX11SNYAWH, is having some problems, not sure if it is just a simple thermostat issue or something else but would like to get some professional advice before I start ordering parts.

It's a pretty straightforward issue, I haven't timed it but it appears that randomly several times a day (sometimes less, sometimes more) the fridge defrosts or "turns off" its cooling function and everything begins to defrost and warm up. Usually the thermostat can be turned to the off position for a moment and switched back on with the compressor kicking back on. The back cooling plate inside the refrigeration section builds up a thin layer of frost, before it began doing this it used to build up a very thick layer of frost on the back plate in the fridge section, and temp regulation seems to be a problem as a lot of produce and liquids seem to freeze if turned up too high.

Any help would be appreciated and hope someone can be forthcoming with an answer as I would prefer not to shop for a fridge with this same set of dimensions as the original builders of the unit I'm living in built the kitchen counters to only accommodate this fridge without room for anything else and the depth/width are not that common.

Thanks and regards.

Saiber,

Based on what I was able to find, your temperature control is the most likely problem,

Part number: AP3140355
Part number: AP3140355

But, you should also move the unit out of the openning and vaccuum off the coil on the back and the compressor, and the the surrounding area,
first.

:) :) :)
saiber77  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:47:29 PM(UTC)
saiber77

Great idea, it hasn't been moved out in along time, and likely has a few things dropped behind it as well, wife uses the top of it to store cereal and stuff.

I had figured it was the temp regulator/thermostat but wanted to be absolutely sure before i started swapping parts.

Based on your suggestion of cleaning it out first I would assume that there is some possible overheating of the coils or pump mechanism that could cause similar symptoms?

Thanks for your prompt reply and for being so helpful.

Saiber77
richappy  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2011 1:48:32 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Before replacing the control, I would check the condenser coils in the back to verify the compressor is not overheating.
If everything stops running when it fails, this would confirm a bad cold control.
Joe / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2011 5:41:21 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: saiber77 Go to Quoted Post
Great idea, it hasn't been moved out in along time, and likely has a few things dropped behind it as well, wife uses the top of it to store cereal and stuff.

I had figured it was the temp regulator/thermostat but wanted to be absolutely sure before i started swapping parts.

Based on your suggestion of cleaning it out first I would assume that there is some possible overheating of the coils or pump mechanism that could cause similar symptoms?

Thanks for your prompt reply and for being so helpful.

Saiber77

It was a pleasure to assist.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
saiber77  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:09:42 PM(UTC)
saiber77

any idea of where i could find a repair manual for this unit ?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply