Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
acillatem  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2008 6:49:19 PM(UTC)
acillatem

Groups: Registered

Had some wet clothes today at the end of a drying cycle, so the dryer is not heating. Started the cycle over, just to be sure.......no heat. The last time this happened a few year ago, the local repair person was nice enough to tell me how check it was the thermal fuse.......by taking the 2 wires off the fuse and connecting them.......If the dryer starts heating up, then you need a thermal fuse. That is exactly what happened,and I replaced the fuse. I assumed that I was having the same problem today, so I did that little test again, but this time it didn't heat up. Hooked the wires back to the thermal fuse, tryed it again, and it started heating, so I let it go. Well, it was o.k. for maybe 10 minutes, then the heat was gone again. I'm just guessing here, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only other thing it could be the thermostat?? Went and dried the clothes at the laundromat, came home and tried it again with the door open, holding the button down to simulate the door being closed, and tried it again.........it started heating up. I let go of the button, waited for it to completely stop, and tried it again......no heat. So it's an intermittent thing, but won't necessarily stay hot if it does start heating.One push of the button may get you heat, the next won't. I don't know if could be in the timer.....i.e. it "thinks" it's on the touchup cycle or??? Anyway, I hope it's a straightforward thing where if it's not the thermal fuse, then it has to be the thermostat, then I'd just probably order both and eliminate all doubt, but maybe there is something else that can cause this. Any hep greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 2:06:30 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
NEVER keep the door open while the heater is on, the thermal fuse will blow. The cycling thermostat will get room temperature and never turn off the flame till the fuse blows.
acillatem  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 6:16:35 AM(UTC)
acillatem

This was just to test to see if it was getting heat in the first place,while I was trying to troubleshoot it. Thanks for giving a reply that had nothing at all to do with my question.:rolleyes:
acillatem  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 3:38:14 PM(UTC)
acillatem

What a useless forum this is.......not one bit of help all day except one person with a reply that had nothing to do with my question......thanks for nothing!
Gene  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 3:44:58 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The first failure suspect are the coils on the gas valve.

- The part number for the coil kit is AP3094251

Gene.
P.S. If you do tests in a wrong way, it can create more problems and make a troubleshooting much more complicated.
acillatem  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 4:55:18 PM(UTC)
acillatem

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't trying to be a jerk regarding that other reply, and I understand what the person was saying, but I would have appreciated some help, such as you have given. The person at my local parts store thought it was most likely those solenoids, and I replaced them a little while ago, and it seems to be working fine now.Thanks!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply