Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
iruntoo  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2008 9:29:52 AM(UTC)
iruntoo

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I have the bake element in the upper oven out. No Error codes on the panel, and the Broiler and lower oven work fine. So I ordered a new element without testing the old one since I had a burner element go out a few months before. My luck it was good (31 ohms) and no voltage at the leads when I press Bake. I would guess, the next component to look at is the solid state relay. I notice there are 2 unused spade connectors on it?? one below the orange wire and one on the right side vertically placed.
How does one test this solid state device? Are the other leads spares? Lastly, since its soldered into the board, how can I order a new one if it is indeed bad?

Thanks for advice in advance,
Roger
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

iruntoo  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:15:45 PM(UTC)
iruntoo

Persistance paid off. The upper bake relay was bad, of course its soldered into the printed circuit board behind the clock. I was able to order the relay PN 653-G8P-1C4TP-DC24 from Mouser Electronics for $3.53 and 6.45 freight.. Ya.. you got it 10 bucks to fix a 200 dollar part. For those of you who wish to know, all that is needed is a soldering iron, solder wick or solder sucker, flux and solder.
Carefully label the individual wires going to the board, the schematics are just that, they are for circuit tracing, not topography.
There are 8 metal tabs holding the circuit board on the frame, twist them with a pair of needle nose pliers and flop the board over. Note , the cable to the lower board is still attached, so handle appropriately. There are 5 connections to de-solder (the solder wick nicely removes any excess solder). Pull out the old relay, put in the new.. flux up each post and apply new solder while heating the post. Wipe off any residue with a damp brush and pat dry. For you electonic efficianado's an hour tops.
denman  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:06:31 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Congratulations !!!!

Nice to see someone who actually troubleshoots down to component level when the norm is plug&chug these days.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
exmurr  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:35:42 PM(UTC)
exmurr

Hello iruntoo. I want to thank you so much for posting your problem and solution on here. I had the exact same problem with my Gemini, I traced the problem to the relay and followed your instructions exactly. Replacing the relay was super easy and now everything is working perfectly! Thanks!!!!!!!!
fabdude  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2012 6:02:56 PM(UTC)
fabdude

Iruntoo,

I guess "I run into" the exact same problem you had. Thanks for posting your fix suggestion, it worked great for me as well. Different relay in my case was the lower element relay, but the relay part number was the same. I did not disconnect the wiring I was able to flip the board around remove the relay using a RadioShack 45-Watt Desoldering Iron, place the new relay in, soldered and voila' I was done. Thanks a bunch for the posting the fix along with the part number. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
SELFHELP777  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2012 5:19:40 PM(UTC)
SELFHELP777

Oven 13 Years Old, Saved $300,00
30 Minute Fix, Part Number Right On, Current Cost $3.00 Bought 2 :) Just Because. Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply