Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
capt  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:57:00 PM(UTC)
capt

Groups: Registered

My whirlpool Gold dishwasher model #GU1200XTLB20 quiet partner 3 fills with water, and appears to be going through the cycles, but the motor doesn't engauge to wash. I do hear a click and quiet hum so I suspect the motor is getting power. Do I need to pull this unit out and replace the motor or could this be another problem. It does drain but is very quiet when doing so. It's 3 years old
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ApplianceJunk  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:21:39 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi,

You could check the food chopper to make sure this is nothing caught in it locking the motor up.

There is a video on ApplianceJunk.com that will show you how to do that. :)

I would guess it's the motor. I have had to replace many of these as the seal goes out and then the bearings in the motor get wet and lock up.

Good luck,
capt  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:36:14 AM(UTC)
capt

Thanks a million. The video was great. I couldn't access the chopper as the plastic houseing surrounding the chopper appears glued or permanent. I am wondering if my model doesn't have acess like the video. My unit had a hugh screen directly under the lower arm and added cross plastic triaggle above the houseing protecting something. It came off very easy. The machine was filthy. I think I will replace the motor next. If it is as easy as this repair it should be a resonable weekend project. Again thank you so much for such excellant wisdom of a repair. 20 minutes in and out. I actually felt qualified.
ApplianceJunk  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:45:32 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Quote:
I couldn't access the chopper as the plastic houseing surrounding the chopper appears glued or permanent.

Should just be the one screw that holds that cover over the food chopper.
They do stick down from all the food slim and stuff. Take a needle nose pliers and take hold of the hole that the screw was in and pull up. This will break it loose.

Once you get to the chopper it can be removed and you will be able to try and turn the motor from inside the dishwasher.

If the motor is locked up or turns hard then the motor will have to be replaced.

To replace the motor I have found it best to slide the dishwasher out from under the cabinet counter and lay it on it side.

Lay it down on the left side so with water pump is up in the air.

Don't lay it all the way down as there will be some water in the sump that will run out. I alway's take one of the shipping blocks that come with the new motor and lay it on that.

Once the dishwasher is out the motor is easy to replace. One bolt to remove and one wire harness plug. Then just give the motor a twist and it's out.
capt  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 5, 2008 7:33:12 PM(UTC)
capt

I can't thank you guys enough for all the advice you gave me. Please forgive me for not thanking you sooner. The better half had a heart attack and life has been rather busy of late, but at least I have you guys to keep me focused, and I actually finished my project with your expert advice. Everything is functioning as designed and there were no fires, destroyed home, or even frustration. It is a rare gift that someone can instruct one on how to repair items. I am without question in your debt. Thanks again guy for great advice and patience. I replaced the motor with ease, and the hose with the proper clearance as instructed by another repair tech in this forum, and it runs as good as new. I saved big time, and impressed several in my family I just might have one brain cell working over time in my retirement
bigks1  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2009 9:28:59 AM(UTC)
bigks1

Originally Posted by: ApplianceJunk Go to Quoted Post
Should just be the one screw that holds that cover over the food chopper.
They do stick down from all the food slim and stuff. Take a needle nose pliers and take hold of the hole that the screw was in and pull up. This will break it loose.

Once you get to the chopper it can be removed and you will be able to try and turn the motor from inside the dishwasher.

If the motor is locked up or turns hard then the motor will have to be replaced.

To replace the motor I have found it best to slide the dishwasher out from under the cabinet counter and lay it on it side.

Lay it down on the left side so with water pump is up in the air.

Don't lay it all the way down as there will be some water in the sump that will run out. I alway's take one of the shipping blocks that come with the new motor and lay it on that.

Once the dishwasher is out the motor is easy to replace. One bolt to remove and one wire harness plug. Then just give the motor a twist and it's out.

Given the motor a twist but something still seams like it is holding it in is there something on the inside that needs to be undone or do I just need to pull harder?
Gene  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 2, 2009 5:55:00 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Looks like it needs the new motor.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply