Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<678910>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mitchellb  
#71 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:15:46 AM(UTC)
mitchellb

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: dr057 Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I have a 7 yr old Neptune FAV6800AWW, serial # starts with a 10 and it sounds like a jet taking off during the spin cycle and after reading some posts in this forum, it apparently needs the outer tub bearings replaced. I have a few questions:

1) Along with the two bearings I need (6207-2RS Bearing 35x72x17 Sealed), will this seal kit work (Seal KIT Washers for Maytag Kenmore Whirlpool 12002022) or do I NOT need all these extra parts and just need to order the tub seal and o ring?

2) What type of grease works best for the outer tub bearing shaft, could I use water proof lithium as previously mentioned in the post of would wheel bearing grease or slick50 lube work better for this?

Thanks, Dino

Dino, When I rebuilt my Neptune Washer I used the following parts only:
2 bearings (upper and lower outer tub)
1 Outer Tub Seal
1 Spinner Support O-Ring
2 Spinner Support Bearings ( your Call if you think their rough-but a good idea)

As for the grease I had great success using a good Marine quality type.
In addition I think you should definitly grease the Pulley with the same grease, especially if there was any evidence of water leakage as it will be only a matter of time before that pulley bearings and spring cease.

Good luck
PS if u need a service manual, I can email it to you, let me know.
Mitch
dh1200s  
#72 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:42:30 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Google this ""16022808.pdf"" for the SM and you should find it on the 1st hit.

I would replace the Spinner Support bearings also for a complete Outer Tub rebuild with the Outer Tub bearing noise you describe but that is your call. The 1st two forum members in this post decided on that direction. I did it just for the hands on experience on my Series 10 machine. The cost is not that much more if you can deal with the down time for this project.

Take your time and follow the post. Don't forget to remove the old sleeve on the Spinner Support shaft a lot of owners do. See pic with drill bit pointing to old sleeve that has to be removed. Ya get a new one with the Tub Seal purchase pressed into that replacement Tub Seal.

Shout out if you need any help and as you can see FAV6800A/FAV9800A owners will chime in...........Dick
dh1200s attached the following image(s):
1 Drill bit pointing to sleve.JPG
dr057  
#73 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:37:00 AM(UTC)
dr057

Mitch,

Okay great, I was thinking I only need the two seals and not the whole kit but just wanted to make sure.. With the unit being 7 yrs old, I might as well also order the two spinner bearings. I would hate to get it torn down and then find out I also need them..

Thanks Mitch for your help!
dh1200s  
#74 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:18:52 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Dino,

Order out the Tub Seal and Tranny O-Ring from this site the part numbers are in the post.

Google for best price on the bearings.

Google “ 6207-2RS” for the Outer Tub bearings you need two. I would not pay more than $15 delivered to the house.

Google “SCE910 Needle Bearing” this is the caged needle bearing agitator shaft Clutch Pulley end you need one. I just found it for $2.99 with free shipping......sorry no links.

6002-2RS for the bearing used in the Spinner Support splined agitator shaft end . Pic below for reference.

If your Clutch Pulley mounted (white One-Way bearing ring) and Upper One-Way bearing ring can’t be cleaned up or the Large Wrap stainless steel spring is damaged then Google this p/n 25001169.

I found it for $75 + a little for shipping. I found it where I picked mine up 3 years ago just now. I just can’t recommend spending $150 for a replacement Clutch Pulley Assembly.

Please support this site if they have the cheaper version of the Clutch Pulley even if its a bit more........stay away from the $150 Clutch Pulley in my opinion its not worth it. I have not recived any feedback from knowledgeable people on cost justification/performance improvement. It's the Tub Seal leak that takes them OOS (Out Of Service).

Bottom line.......your $1K machine can be saved at very resonable cost if you are doing a DIY fix and you can tollerate some down time.

Other issues will pop up but all are fixable with a little knowledge and a parts search. The only parts I replace new are the Tub Seal/Tranny O-Ring, Clutch Pulley and the bearings described above. Every additional part on the machine including the Outer Tub on this machine can be found from parted out machines if you have the time to search for $$$ savings..........just the way I do it.........its not for everyone.

All of my used electronic parts including the Drive Motor, TDS, Console, Console Control Board, Motro Control Board were picked up from parted out or a complete used machine buy and verfied operational in my test FAV6800A Series 10 machine. I have not picked any defective parts to date.........maybe I'm just lucky. As I said this path is not for everyone............... just works real good for me.

Good Luck…………….Dick
Agitator bearings.jpg
dr057  
#75 Posted : Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:53:52 AM(UTC)
dr057

Thanks Dick, appreciate your help on this!
dr057  
#76 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 7:25:10 AM(UTC)
dr057

Hello,

Well, I got my washer apart but could not get the large nut off the bearing end, tried a few large wrenches w/my son helping to no avail. The question is am I turning it the correct direction? In the service manual it shows clockwise using the special spanner tool, is this correct or should I be going counterclockwise? If I need to order the maytag locking spinner ring and spanner wrench, where's the best place to order it?

Thank You
Dino

dh1200s  
#77 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 8:50:03 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

I remember it to be standard thread and I used a 1.75" socket with my 1/2" air impact wrench. So CCW rotation of the Spinner Nut as viewed looking down on the Spinner Nut. I would see if you can borrow an impact wrench 1/2" electric or air. Andy in this post used a Spud Wrench.

When you remove it the Spinner Support will drop to the deck real hard if you have the tub inverted as I show in the pics in this thread. Make sure you remove the sleeve on the Spinner Support shaft I call out in the Pic.

I do have the Maytag locking ring and I did use that for reassembly not for disassembly but I don't believe anyone else used the Locking Ring/Spanner.

&#8220;&#8221;Locking plate for 12002139 Spinner Tool Kit. &#8220;&#8221;
&#8220;&#8221;Wrench for 12002139 Spinner Tool Kit&#8221;&#8221;

When I ordered them about 4 years ago the shipping was free at that time Google the text in quotes. For what ever reason the individual items are cheaper then the tool as a kit. I had to file out lightly the flats on the locking ring to fit the 1.75" Spinner Nut.

You may be able to get the items thru the parts vendor associated with this site. If so I would try to support this site with all parts buy if close in price.

Question........did your Clutch Pulley assembly use the Upper Bearing ring?

Dick
dr057  
#78 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 9:17:16 AM(UTC)
dr057

Ah, so I was going the wrong direction, I hope I did not torque it on too tight now :( I do have an air compressor and ratchet so I just need to get the 1.75 socket. Question - when I look in the tub side even though I took out all the bolts/screws the inner lining (stainless steel/plastic), is still attached.. How do I remove that, maybe it's just stuck or jammed in? did my Clutch Pulley assembly use the Upper Bearing ring? I'm not sure what you mean? I did take apart the pulley assembly and it does not look that bad, so I cleaned/lubed up the cage needle bearings and just put it back together.

Thanks,
Dino

dh1200s  
#79 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 9:42:08 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Dino,

See page 45 of the SM. At that point of disassembly you will be removing the 6 Spinner Bolts. Those bolts hold down the clamping ring that secures the inner tub to the Spinner Support. This where after multiple hits with Licquid Wrench and PB blaster I sheared off a Spinner Bolt with my impact tool. So far I'm the only one to do this.

As called out in the thread that inner tub has a liquid (saline solution I believe) that is factory installed. I believe to help dampen out Outer Tub oscilations/side to side movement on Wash Basket Spin Up.

The reason I asked if your series of machine used the Upper Bearing Ring was to better understand your Outer Tub design. This comes into play if your are replacing the Outer Tub bearings.

Here is a Pic of the Upper Bearing Ring and a crude exploded parts view. The Clutch Pulley assembly uses the Upper Bearing ring the one on the left is from my Series 16 machine and does not use the upper bearing ring.........Dick
Left stide new _Right Side old Clutch Spring I did not use left side upper bearing assembly.JPG
1. Fav6800AWW Clutch Parts Label.jpg
dr057  
#80 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 9:56:31 AM(UTC)
dr057

Hi Dick,

Yes I removed the 6 spinner bolts from inside the tub and they all came out fine. My series machine starts with serial #10 and the upper pulley assembly looks like the one on the left in your pic (has the white plastic insert that locks into the top). And yes I will be replacing both bearings (Qty 2 6207-2RS Bearing 35x72x17 Sealed), have them already and also have both seals (Qty 1 Tub Seal AP4035323, Qty 1 O-ring seal AP4034167), which I ordered from this site.

Dino