Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pharmaman  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2007 1:58:30 PM(UTC)
pharmaman

Groups: Registered

:confused:
Hi folks -
Could use some advice with my Kenmore Side by Side
Mode 106.56579400
Had a repair tech come to my place to look at the unit - fridge wasn't cooling and I had ice in the back of the freezer. I am thinking defrost cycle not working.

Tech says I need a control board and a new bi-metal thermostat. Comes to do repair a few days later and replaces the board. When I ask about the thermostat the tech says that the thermostat is on the board. Is this right?

Little hairs standing up on the back of my neck. On the repair invoice it calls out for both the thermostat and control board. Did I just get ripped off or was it just a typo on the invoice?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:27:16 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I searched the sears site at sears3.com and found control board. Give us a part # of the board he replaced. Also, there is NO thermostat on any control board I have ever seen. This Sears site shows p# 2252199 sells for $204
doityourselfer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:01:16 PM(UTC)
doityourselfer

Groups: Registered

I had a similar problem and was also told it was the control board. I ordered a control board from these folks ($156) and installed but still had the same problem. I don't blame you for being a little apprehensive about obtaining a control board. I wish I would have been. Anyhow, richappy (on this forum) suggested I try running diagnostics. Would that be applicable to this situation? Good luck. I'll keep watching your post.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2007 3:45:29 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
He probably replaced the termination thermostat in the freezer and the control board just to make sure he didn't have a call back. Board probably ok.
Did he do a manual defrost test. If not, he may have replaced a board that is ok.
For your info, one way to activate auto defrost is to turn cold control off 15 seconds, then on 5, then off 15, then on 5, then off. Within 3 seconds adaptive defrost will enter defrost mode, you will hear the relay click. If not, go to Appliance repairs, Appliancehelp, Appliances, repairs to dryers washers dishwashers fridges repairs microwaves ge maytag kenmore frigidaire westinghouse inglis, appliance how to take apart information, purchasing an appliance help, model number help, for alternate defrost initiate info.
For Whirlpool products I usually assume one failure, if termination thermostat was bad, I would have just replaced it and nothing else. Ie, termination thermostats don't blow out adaptive defrost boards and adaptive defrost boards don't blow out termination thermostats!