Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jim k  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2007 5:09:58 PM(UTC)
jim k

Groups: Registered

My electric dryer gets the clothes extremely hot. The fabric gets so hot it actually is causing an odor on the dried clothes. The vent is all metal and is clean. Set the dryer on the lowest setting and the exhaust is so hot you can't keep your hand in front of it. I see various thermostats, high limit/cutoff kit/thrmst-fix. I suspect a thermostat not cycling the element, but which one or am I missing a more common concern? Thanks, Jim
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

herman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2007 5:25:33 AM(UTC)
herman

you have a thermal fuse that should have went,white plastic. you might want to check to see if heating element is grounded to shroud ? always be sure unplug any appliance
inutel  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2007 3:51:01 PM(UTC)
inutel

Usually when an electric dryer overheats it's because of a defective cycling thermostat or a clogged vent system. Check continuity of the cycling thermostat.
Adam / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:43:28 PM(UTC)
Adam / APP Team

Groups: Administrators

When a dryer gets too hot it usually has to do with the cycle thermostat or disruption of airflow.

The cycle thermostat is located on the blower housing so if smallest bit of air is escaping before it gets back to the blower wheel, the cycle thermostat will stay closed allowing power to continue to the element.

The only way for the air to go elsewhere is if the drum drops due to the support rollers or the front and rear felt wearing out.

You might also check out the seal on the lint screen to see that it isnt cracked or worn.

After you have checked all the seals and support rollers you can take a probe type pocket thermometer and poke it through the vent as close as you can to the air coming out to see if its shutting down at the temperature indicated on the thermostat.

Your thermostat should open at 155 degrees farenheit.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply