Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Leslie  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2007 3:52:25 PM(UTC)
Leslie

Groups: Registered

Was using the disposer and it stopped, I thought something had jammed it. I turned it off to check it and there wasn't anything in it that i could see. Now when we turn it on it hums and sometimes doesn't even do that. I'm not having any dishwasher/sink drainage problems. There's a small button on the bottom but it doesn't seem to make any difference .
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Admin / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2007 11:32:36 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If the disposer is making a humming noise, that means it's jammed. Unplug the disposer and inspect inside again to make sure there are no foreign objects. You can then release the disposer and plug it back in.

How to release a garbage disposer:
There is a small hole on the bottom of the disposer, right in the center and near the red button you were talking about. Insert a 1/4 inch Allen (hex) wrench (typically supplied with the disposer, can be purchased from most hardware stores) in the hole and move it back and forth until it moves freely. Plug the disposer back in and try it with the water running (you should not use a disposer without water running through it).

Hope this helps.
wdanielstrans@comcast.net  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2007 2:23:36 PM(UTC)
wdanielstrans@comcast.net

garbage disposal was running but when i cut it off it jammed tried to un jam it using tool to turn but it is just locked when i reset it it just humms before it trips
Admin / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2007 11:21:55 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sounds like it's still jammed. With the disposer power cord still unplugged, check inside for any foreign objects. Try to unlock using the tool again...
justinfb@optonline.net  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2007 9:44:23 AM(UTC)
justinfb@optonline.net

Originally Posted by: Leslie Go to Quoted Post
Was using the disposer and it stopped, I thought something had jammed it. I turned it off to check it and there wasn't anything in it that i could see. Now when we turn it on it hums and sometimes doesn't even do that. I'm not having any dishwasher/sink drainage problems. There's a small button on the bottom but it doesn't seem to make any difference .

reply; your disposer has a small tool that can crank the the disposer manually. if the disposer does not turn freely, there is someting stuck in the blades. you may be able to loosen this up by turning the tool back and and forth. i have replaced the disposer once onlyto find out that the motor was running well after i had taken in out and saw someting stuck in the blades. mymotor was humming also.
charrie  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2008 7:50:03 AM(UTC)
charrie

Originally Posted by: Admin / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
If the disposer is making a humming noise, that means it's jammed. Unplug the disposer and inspect inside again to make sure there are no foreign objects. You can then release the disposer and plug it back in.

How to release a garbage disposer:
There is a small hole on the bottom of the disposer, right in the center and near the red button you were talking about. Insert a 1/4 inch Allen (hex) wrench (typically supplied with the disposer, can be purchased from most hardware stores) in the hole and move it back and forth until it moves freely. Plug the disposer back in and try it with the water running (you should not use a disposer without water running through it).

Hope this helps.

If you don't have a tool and you want to try something else take the household broom handle (Long & Strong Everyone has one) turn it upside down and put it in the disposal... find a blade or area where you can rest the handle against and stir until it moves usually like just once or twice with pressure will do it, reset the button on the bottom and your good to go. My dad taught me this trick
charrie  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2008 7:52:23 AM(UTC)
charrie

Originally Posted by: wdanielstrans@comcast.net Go to Quoted Post
garbage disposal was running but when i cut it off it jammed tried to un jam it using tool to turn but it is just locked when i reset it it just humms before it trips

Try the unjamming with the end of a broom handle... give a good stir 1 -2 times.. You can tell when it unjams because it willl move, reset it and go.
mack0196  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 4, 2008 7:01:16 AM(UTC)
mack0196

Using the allen wrench to crank the disposal manually worked for me. As I unjammed it a bunch of coffee grinds came out. I think it was the collection of coffee that was the source of the problem.
pelon2008  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 1:24:17 PM(UTC)
pelon2008

i tried both the wrench and the broom handle. (about ten times) the blades move but the disposal still hums. the reset switch didn't help. any other suggestions??????
Zanshin  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:10:39 PM(UTC)
Zanshin

I think its a safe bet you need a new disposer,sounds like the main motor has a bad winding. Check your use and care manual to see if it has an extended warranty.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply