Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joelake  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:03:05 AM(UTC)
joelake

Groups: Registered

The right front burner which is a dual burner, has stopped working after only 3 years (both inner and outer coil). This is a flat glass 30 in. cooktop. I have 2 questions--

1. How do I determine if its the burner itself, the switch, or some other part? When I turn the switch on, there is an audible noise, just as there is when I turn the other burners on, AND the indicator light comes on. I am handy and have electrical test equipment and can test something if someone can point me to the possible culprit.

2. To replace the defective part, I'm assuming I need to remove the cooktop from the countertop? It is sealed in with the silicon...under the glass lip...any suggestions on removing this without breaking the glass? Thanks for any help!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

traiaberg  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:48:23 AM(UTC)
traiaberg

Did you ever figure out if it was a switch or the elements? I have a similar issue. How do you check to see which item is not working?
joelake  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:00:45 AM(UTC)
joelake

You would take a voltage reading at your burner switch in the console. You should see 2 leads going inside the glasstop from your burner switch, you measure there with it on. You should get 240 volts.

Most of the time its the burner itself thats bad.

The above answer is what I got from another repair forum Maytag/Magic Chef/Admiral/Jenn-Air - Appliance Repair Forums

I have not yet taken it apart yet to check it. I must remove it from the granite countertop first, as it cannot be done from underneath (at least it looks that way). The unit is sealed into the granite, but I've already taken a sharp knife to go inbetween the ceramic unit, and the granite. I just haven't gone all the way around yet. Will make a post once I do, and once I test it.
Joe
traiaberg  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:13:20 AM(UTC)
traiaberg

Thank you for that answer I have not yet recevied an answer to my post so I figured I would look at similar problems to see how I might resolve mine. I will do as you said next thank you so much :)