Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
timdogg  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:02:09 PM(UTC)
timdogg

Groups: Registered

Hello,

If anyone can assist me I would appreciate it. I have a 7 year old GE Fridge model # gts18jcparww. I came home after not being here for a few days to find all the food spoiled in the freezer/fridge.

I unplugged the fridge and took off the back lower panel behind the fridge and cleaned out any dust I can see within the coils. I also made sure the fan was clean and spun while it was plugged in so there was no issues there. I would hear a clicking every so often as if the cooling wanted to kick in but something is preventing it from doing so.

I dont want to go out and buy a new fridge if it is a simple inexpensive repair. I am pretty handy and dont mind doing it myslef as long as I am not replacing EVERYTHING trying to figure out whats wrong and not shocking myself of course lol. I hope its not the compressor but not sure if I can tell and know its probably the most expensive part. Oh and the fan in the back of the freezer seems to be blowing strong but not cold of course.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:15:14 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric GTS18JCPARWW Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Could be the start relay, see Section 6.
Here are a couple good sites with info on troubleshooting.
The second is the better of the two for info on how to check things.
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig.html
Appliance Repair Guide: How To Fix a Refrigerator - ACME HOW TO.com

Check the relay and the compressor.
Note: That the compressor test is not definitive. It will tell you if you have an open winding so you then know it is toast. But it could measure OK and still be bad due to a mechanical proble. Only way to tell is replace the relay and see what happens.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
kayakcrzy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:57:05 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

It is most likely the motherboard. All the power goes to the motherboard. The motherboard has a history of of things it does, and one of them is not sending power to the compressor all the time. Your parts list show there is a motherboard in there, but it does not show a motherboard part #. The part # is WR55x10942. Pull out the refrigerator, and on the back of it is a panel, not the big one on the bottom, there is a smaller panel. Behind it is the motherboard. Unplug the refrigerator, before you replace it. This is an easy repair. It usually take me about 10 minutes. Tom Appliance Educator, Appliance Parts, Washer and Dryer Parts, Refridgerator and Freezer Parts, Stove and Oven Parts
timdogg  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:10:34 AM(UTC)
timdogg

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: kayakcrzy Go to Quoted Post
It is most likely the motherboard. All the power goes to the motherboard. The motherboard has a history of of things it does, and one of them is not sending power to the compressor all the time. Your parts list show there is a motherboard in there, but it does not show a motherboard part #. The part # is WR55x10942. Pull out the refrigerator, and on the back of it is a panel, not the big one on the bottom, there is a smaller panel. Behind it is the motherboard. Unplug the refrigerator, before you replace it. This is an easy repair. It usually take me about 10 minutes. Tom Appliance Educator, Appliance Parts, Washer and Dryer Parts, Refridgerator and Freezer Parts, Stove and Oven Parts

Thanks for the response guys. I looked at the top corner of the fridge from behind and there is no small panels or openings at all so I am not sure how I would access the motherboard.....
kayakcrzy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:06:00 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Take a few screws out holding the panel in place, and there you have it. Be bold my man!! This is simple. Tom www.applianceeducator.com/parts.htm
denman  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:00:47 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
There seems to be some confusion as to the wiring/parts in the unit.

The link I show has a manual thermostat and does not include a control board.

I do not know which is correct.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply