Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SaxTeacher  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 8:36:42 PM(UTC)
SaxTeacher

Groups: Registered

This is our 1998 GE side-by-side refrigerator with ice maker. The rigid plastic tube that water flows down to reach the ice maker somehow shifted towards the rear of the fridge, so that it was no longer fitting into the ice maker, and was instead pouring water down the inside of the freezer compartment, where it iced up the entire evaporator, causing poor cooling. Once I figured out what had happened, I removed the sheet-metal cover over the evaporator, melted all the ice, thoroughly dried the freezer compartment with a fan, then put the rigid plastic tube back into place.

Question 1. I'm ready to put the cover back over the evaporator, but I notice there are two wires hanging down below the ice maker, above the evaporator. Both wires end in a sort of banana-plug (molded plastic with metal tip). One wire is white with a blue stripe and ends in a gray plug; the other wire is white with brown stripe and ends in a white plug. Are these plugs supposed to be plugged into something? Or are they supposed to hang loose?

Question 2. This scenario (where the filler-tube comes loose from the ice maker and pours water all over the evaporator) has happened twice in the last two years. After the first time, I replaced the rigid filler-tube with a new replacement part, thinking that might keep it from happening again. Any idea why this keeps happening? Each time it costs us a lot of $ in melted/spoiled food, and many hours of work to defrost and reassemble. I would love to find a way to not have it happen again!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.