Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mattj98  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 5:30:13 AM(UTC)
mattj98

Groups: Registered

Just the other day, we noticed that the fridge / freezer is not cooling. It happened all of a sudden. At first we tried to turn up the cooling, but not change. I unplugged the fridge, cleaned it out, removed the lower back panel, etc. The fan is working in the bottom, but the compressor is very hot to the touch. I've got an old college small fridge, and I remember every time the compressor starts you can hear it, and sometimes feel it shake. I don't feel anything on the whirlpool. I left it unplugged overnight to cool down - then plugged it in this morning and had my hand on the compressor - I could feel something, but it wasn't cooling - I'm wondering if it has enough juice to start - maybe a capacitor or something. Any thoughts.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:57:01 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mattj98 Go to Quoted Post
Just the other day, we noticed that the fridge / freezer is not cooling. It happened all of a sudden. At first we tried to turn up the cooling, but not change. I unplugged the fridge, cleaned it out, removed the lower back panel, etc. The fan is working in the bottom, but the compressor is very hot to the touch. I've got an old college small fridge, and I remember every time the compressor starts you can hear it, and sometimes feel it shake. I don't feel anything on the whirlpool. I left it unplugged overnight to cool down - then plugged it in this morning and had my hand on the compressor - I could feel something, but it wasn't cooling - I'm wondering if it has enough juice to start - maybe a capacitor or something. Any thoughts.

Matt,

Did you hear a loud click, from the compresor when you plugged it in ?

After a few minutes did you hear a slight hum, and if you touched the compressor was there a slight vibration, and was the compressor getting warm ?

Did you notice if there was frost or snow on the back wall of the freezer compartment ?

As far as "juice"to the unit, did you notice if the room light dims , when the unit is plugged in ?

As you can tell there are several "systems"involved in the cooling cycle of the refrigerator, defrost timer, cold control, defrost heater, and a few more.

Another quick check, while the unit is plugged into the outlet,

Carefully, unplug the power cord(while the unit is running) count to 10 and plug the power cord back in. if the compressor is operating properly, you will hear a loud click from the "overload" on the compressor and it will shut down.

Try these quick checks, and let us know what you find,

We'll have a better idea of what direction to take.

Thanks,
:) :) :)
mattj98  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:09:29 AM(UTC)
mattj98

Groups: Registered

Joe- the lights in the room didn't change (they are florescent) when plugged in. I thought there was a slight hum to the compressor - I couldn't hear it - but I felt it. The fan was on once I plugged it in. No loud clunk though - this is what I remember from my old college fridge though. No snow on the back of the freezer. I did the 10 sec test, no loud clunk.

Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post

Matt,

Did you hear a loud click, from the compresor when you plugged it in ?

After a few minutes did you hear a slight hum, and if you touched the compressor was there a slight vibration, and was the compressor getting warm ?

Did you notice if there was frost or snow on the back wall of the freezer compartment ?

As far as "juice"to the unit, did you notice if the room light dims , when the unit is plugged in ?

As you can tell there are several "systems"involved in the cooling cycle of the refrigerator, defrost timer, cold control, defrost heater, and a few more.

Another quick check, while the unit is plugged into the outlet,

Carefully, unplug the power cord(while the unit is running) count to 10 and plug the power cord back in. if the compressor is operating properly, you will hear a loud click from the "overload" on the compressor and it will shut down.

Try these quick checks, and let us know what you find,

We'll have a better idea of what direction to take.

Thanks,
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 1:29:09 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mattj98 Go to Quoted Post
Joe- the lights in the room didn't change (they are florescent) when plugged in. I thought there was a slight hum to the compressor - I couldn't hear it - but I felt it. The fan was on once I plugged it in. No loud clunk though - this is what I remember from my old college fridge though. No snow on the back of the freezer. I did the 10 sec test, no loud clunk.

Thanks for your help.

Matt,

Can you get your hands on a multi meter

Part number: AP3873826
Part number: AP3873826

So we can test, circuits and voltages at the other comonents that cause the fridge to cool(cold control,defrost timer,compressor etc.) ?

It'll make things easier and save money in the long run.

Thanks,