Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kevin.m.elkin@rrd.com  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:41:41 PM(UTC)
kevin.m.elkin@rrd.com

Groups: Registered

Our trusty old Maytag starts like a champ - glowbar glows and burner lights - but after a few minutes, it's lights out..... Clothes tumble and heat does not come back on unless we stop the dryer and let it set a bit. Timer will advance on timed drying, but not on auto dry (maybe because the clothes don't get dry!).

Glowbar doesn't seem to be the problem. I don't find a fuse listed in the parts, unless it's called something else. There's a cycling thermostat and high limit thermostat. There are also 3 gas valve coils. I don't have a clear understanding of what these parts do; so it's hard to reason out what is likeliest to have failed.

We have had troubles with squirrels building nests in our dryer exhaust, and recently found that a handful of acorns were jamming the louvres and preventing them from opening. It's likely that this caused some overheating, but I don't know which part or parts might have failed as a result. What's the likeliest culprit?

We'll appreciate guidance on anything that can be concluded in the absence of an ohmmeter.

Kevin
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2010 8:53:07 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kevin.m.elkin@rrd.com Go to Quoted Post
Our trusty old Maytag starts like a champ - glowbar glows and burner lights - but after a few minutes, it's lights out..... Clothes tumble and heat does not come back on unless we stop the dryer and let it set a bit. Timer will advance on timed drying, but not on auto dry (maybe because the clothes don't get dry!).

Glowbar doesn't seem to be the problem. I don't find a fuse listed in the parts, unless it's called something else. There's a cycling thermostat and high limit thermostat. There are also 3 gas valve coils. I don't have a clear understanding of what these parts do; so it's hard to reason out what is likeliest to have failed.

We have had troubles with squirrels building nests in our dryer exhaust, and recently found that a handful of acorns were jamming the louvres and preventing them from opening. It's likely that this caused some overheating, but I don't know which part or parts might have failed as a result. What's the likeliest culprit?

We'll appreciate guidance on anything that can be concluded in the absence of an ohmmeter.

Kevin

Kevin,

Get rid of the squirrels, or rodents, I don't think they are the Major problem, right now, but the poor exhaust flow due to the acorns, etc, will weaken the hi limit thermostat and create a problem.

Right now, based on your description, you most likely have a bad set of gas valve coils,

Part number: AP4008890
Part number: AP4008890

or the gas is shut off to the dryer.

The coils, release the gas from the valve, once the glow bar has cycled on and the radiant sensor circuit opens, the coils activate and release the gas for ignition and flame(heat).

Good Luck,
:) :) :)

PS. We apologize, for the delay in responding to your post.

Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply