Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
firedancer  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2010 8:54:28 AM(UTC)
firedancer

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I found lots of "leaking washing machines" on the forum but not quite the same as mine.

The machine is operating just fine as far as the water filling the tub, spin cycles, water pumping out, etc. It's a little squeaky (maybe ball bearings?), but no complaints. The issue is a water leak that shows up on the floor near the front right leg of the machine. This has been an intermittent problem - meaning it doesn't happen on every load - for a few months. But just last night, I noticed a puddle around the front left leg of the machine as well.

Could this be the tub seal? Or does it sound like another problem?

Thank you so much for your time!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 4, 2010 4:03:12 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Take off the front and operate the machine and you should be able to see the source of the leak. I think it is likely the pump or an internal hose.
firedancer  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 4, 2010 6:48:01 PM(UTC)
firedancer

Sidfink - Thank you very much - I'll give that a shot! :)
finellic  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 4, 2010 6:57:05 PM(UTC)
finellic

Originally Posted by: firedancer Go to Quoted Post
Sidfink - Thank you very much - I'll give that a shot! :)

I noticed this same problem tonight with my Frigidaire washer. I watched as the machine operated and noticed that the water is coming from the seam between the upper portion (splash cover) of the splash tub and the lower portion of the splash tub.

It looks like the splash cover has come loose and doesn't seal. I think the gasket has cracked as well. Do I need to replace the splash cover, or can I use caulk (or similar) to create a better seal. The washer is 11 years old, so a quick and dirty fix is probably fine.

Thanks.

Chris
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 5:52:41 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Finellic

You can do whatever works, and after 11 years your machine doesn't owe you anything. Just make sure you are sealing the leak and no redirecting the water someplace else.
firedancer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:05:55 PM(UTC)
firedancer

Hey Chris - How did you get the front panel off? I've looked all over online and just keep finding how to disassemble the whole unit (starting with the back, then the sides, and THEN the front). Were you able to just take off the front panel?

Thanks in advance! I just don't want to bust something!
finellic  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:18:47 PM(UTC)
finellic

Originally Posted by: firedancer Go to Quoted Post
Hey Chris - How did you get the front panel off? I've looked all over online and just keep finding how to disassemble the whole unit (starting with the back, then the sides, and THEN the front). Were you able to just take off the front panel?

Thanks in advance! I just don't want to bust something!

If you've got a unit similar to mine, there are two screws at the bottom of the front panel. Remove them. The front panel is then held onto the top by two spring clips. You may be able to slide the front panel down, but you might need to use a flathead screw driver to get past the sping clips. The panel should come right off by sliding it down.

You still may have to remove the two screws holding the top onto the back to access the tub, but they don't affect your ability to get at the front panel.

Disclaimer: I'm not a repairman, just a tinker. These methods worked for my washer. Hopefully they'll work for yours.

Good luck.

Chris
firedancer  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:10:16 AM(UTC)
firedancer

I figured out how to remove the front panel, and there's water coming out all around the tub at the top, which I assume means the tub seal has worn out. And there's another leak when it's pumping out the water. Is it worth it to fix the pump and tub seal myself? Or should we be looking at a new washing machine. :(
firedancer  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:10:58 AM(UTC)
firedancer

Thanks for the help, Chris!! :)
firedancer  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:02:58 AM(UTC)
firedancer

Hi Sidfink - It seems the source of the leak is at the top of the drum. There is water all around the outside of the drum. But after watching videos on replacing the tub seal I realized this is a part at the bottom of the drum, and that doesn't sound like my problem. What is the seal at the top of the drum called, and does this sound like it's the source of my problem?

Thanks for your help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply