Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
glibritz  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 1, 2007 12:54:12 PM(UTC)
glibritz

Groups: Registered

I had a new sink and sink flange installed last year and the exisiting garbage disposal was reconnected. I want to remove the current disposal and reconnect a new one without fussing with the sink flange. I'm pretty handy, but have never replaced a disposal unit.

Since I have the original installation instructions that came with the unit, can the disposal be removed by reversing the installation instructions - meaning, by inserting a screwdriver into something called the, "tightening slot" on the mounting ring and turning the mount ring and disposal clockwise until the unlock position is achieved.

Similarly, the new unit should reconnect with a new fiber gasket, support and mounting rings, and cushion mount in the opposite manner, right?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Gary LiBritz
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Admin / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2007 4:02:08 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You don't have to replace the sink flange, if the old one is in good condition.

Quote:
Similarly, the new unit should reconnect with a new fiber gasket, support and mounting rings, and cushion mount in the opposite manner, right?
As far as I remember the gasket comes with the disposer. Check out the diagram from this post. The flange typically consists of numbers 2 thru 7. Numbers 8 and 9 are part of the disposer. The disposer is secured by locking number 9 in to number 5.

Unplug the old disposer, loosen up the drain pipe connector, then unlock 9 from 5 using an allen wrench or a screwdriver. If your dishwasher drain hose is connected to the disposer, make sure to knock out the drain plug in the new disposer before re-connecting the drain hose. Lock the new disposer in to the flange, re-connect drain (both "out" and dishwasher hose). Turn the faucet on and check for leaks. If none found, plug the disposer cord in and try it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply