Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rvaeponce  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:49:10 AM(UTC)
rvaeponce

Groups: Registered

Our stove was installed when we moved in, so I am not sure of its age. Its a electric oven with a gas stovetop.

Went to turn the oven to bake and a burning rubber smell filled the kitchen. Turned the oven off, checked around the oven and couldn't find anything and there was no smoke. Turned the oven on again and no smell this time. Started the cook top to boil some water, the gas flame was 3x normal size and dark green. Checked with the gas company and they referred me to a repair shop for my stove.

Checked on the items in the oven baking and the oven was cold. Temp setting on the control box was 350, it had run through the preheat cycle and preheat had clicked off, but the element was cold. Tried the Broil setting. After 5 minutes, the broiler element was still cold. Still no error messages. Stovetop burners were back to normal in appearance and size.

Next night, tried to turn the burners on, the ignitors will not click and light. Still no oven functions, still no error messages and now the stovetop doesnt work? HELP! please.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:55:39 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

How long have you lived in this house? Did it set empty for a while?

Nat
rvaeponce  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:58:14 AM(UTC)
rvaeponce

We have lived here almost 18 months. It did sit empty for a while before that, maybe a few months if memory serves me. Thank you for the quick reply.
libertyappl  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 7:06:56 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Here's the breakdown of your unit. Model GLCS378DBA

I think you probably have a wiring problem. You should open it up and look for chewed or broken wires.

Nat
rvaeponce  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 7:10:31 AM(UTC)
rvaeponce

OK. Will do. Thanks!

Your web site is awesome!
libertyappl  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 7:23:06 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

I just volunteer here, but they do have a good site :D

Nat
rvaeponce  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 8:26:11 AM(UTC)
rvaeponce

Thank you for your advice. Sure enough the red wire into the terminal block had fried. Actually melted at the crimp point on the wire end that was installed. When taking the wires out of the junction box on the wall, the red wire was not wirenutted on properly. Can you imagine! I had a loose 110 wire floating around the junction box!!!! Man. I should have known, I had to spend $2400 rewiring the rest of the house after we moved in. The previous home owner did all the wiring himself and it was not up to code, or safe for that matter. I am willing to tackle alot, but I try to be humble enough to know when my enthusiasm is limited by my knowledge.

Anyway, sorry. Had to vent. The wire had fried off the terminal block and I do have scortching on the case of the stove...should I replace the end and see what works or is there anything else I should check before putting it all back together??
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply