Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mpickell  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 7:19:31 PM(UTC)
mpickell

Groups: Registered

I have a 24" portable Kenmore 587-17245990 dishwasher. This evening it was running and all of sudden just started spilling out on the floor.

I opened the door to stop it, but water was still pouring into it through the fill hole from the sink. No matter what i did, I could not get the water to stop coming in (other than turning off the sink, of course). Everything on it seems to be fine otherwise: I got it to drain itself, so that pump works well and the hose is clear. i ran part of a wash cycle with some water and that seems to be fine.

From under the dishwasher, I checked for continuity on the float switch and that test was successful (the electric meter beeped when i triggered the switch.. but i did not know which voltage to check, so the switch isn't eliminated yet)

This happened to me once before with a different washer (former house), and since it was under warranty I had someone fix it. They came and replaced the water inlet valve. This appears to be the exact same issue.

I wanted to post here to get an opinion on this and to see if anyone had a repair manual for this dishwasher. I have a user manual, but that is just for operation. I found the part on sears parts direct and the number is 154359802 (water inlet valve) and 154225501 (float switch). I looked under the dishwasher and it appears replacing this part would not be that difficult.

Does it look like i'm on the right track? Anything else I should test to verify this? Any idea where i can get a repair manual for this model? Any better or alternative part numbers for either the float switch or water inlet valve?

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:12:53 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Yes, I would say it is the water valve sticking open.
Part number: AP4321824
Part number: AP4321824

Opening the door should have killed power to the valve and since it did not close I would say it is the valve that is shot.
If the overfill switch got soaked I would also replace it even if it checks out OK.
Part number: AP2109652
Part number: AP2109652

OR
Part number: AP2108932
Part number: AP2108932

Here are the other parts
Replacement parts for KENMORE 58717245990 | AppliancePartsPros.com

If switch did not get wet.
Unplug the machine and one wire going to the switch.
Measure across the switch, should be 0 ohms.
Raise the float, the switch should deactivate and it should go to infinite (open) ohms.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
mpickell  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:39:13 AM(UTC)
mpickell

Thanks! I'm going to replace it tonight and I'll post back.

I'm going to try to get a switch also. It was wet, so i may as well replace it while i'm there.

Is there anything special about replacing this water inlet valve? Anything to keep in mind, or is it straight forward?
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:52:32 AM(UTC)
denman

Pretty straight forward.
mpickell  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:54:38 PM(UTC)
mpickell

Done and working great. It was the water valve. It was pretty easy.

I would suggest to someone else to also get a new adapter piece that screws onto the water valve -- or some liquid wrench. I had to put the old water valve in a vice to finally get that piece off. The sears part number is 154242501 for that piece I think.

Also some plumbers tape to wrap on the adapter piece's threads when you put it on the new water valve

Thanks denman!
denman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:39:27 AM(UTC)
denman

You are welcome.

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.