Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gottado  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 11:52:40 AM(UTC)
gottado

Groups: Registered

Greetings,

A few weeks ago we noticed water puddled on the floor under the freezer door of our big SxS. Inside, the freezer floor had an ice build up like that of a glacier not to mention that I could see through the slots of the back panel that the evaporator coils were also with ice build up. I cleared this all away only to find it reoccur every few days untill the unit finally quit freezing/cooling. Luckily we got our goods into another unit in time. My wife called out a tech and through his diagnostics found the compressor starter relay to be bad and also mentioned that the sealed unit had a leak. He also mentioned that the cost to fix the unit might not be worth it to us considering its age less than 9YRS vs buying a new one. Not good timing for us right now. We love the space this big beast offers.

Somewheres in 2005 we had the ADC unit replaced and everything was fine untill now. I have a new Starter Relay ( the new replacement model that diifers from the original) the old one did rattle I must add.

I would love to get some guidence as to what steps to take to see if indeed the sealed unit is the culprit or is it some other failed part.

Thanks for any help

gottado

PS my error unit is almost 9yrs old
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

v2k04  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 1:14:44 PM(UTC)
v2k04

Groups: Senior Expert

How could the thing have a leak with that much frost on it? he's full of it
gottado  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 1:34:50 PM(UTC)
gottado

hey thanks for responding.

I'm very new to all this posting and threading abit confusing at first but I'll manage. As to the leak he apparently started the refrigerator with his own starter relay and viewed the evaperator coils seeing that a very small section of tubing had frosted after about 15 min or so, then made this assesment. Also the unit was off the the night before. Would 15 min be ample time to make this call.
v2k04  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 1:38:33 PM(UTC)
v2k04

So was the frig all thawed out before the servicemaN got there? Or was it still heavily frosted?
gottado  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 1:41:14 PM(UTC)
gottado

Yes sir my wfie had cleaned it all out, no frost at all
v2k04  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 1:58:17 PM(UTC)
v2k04

!st of al.l I don't think the serviceman is that damn good to just look at the coils for a few minutes and make that call.The other thing that bothers me is He turned it on and it started tro frost the coils right? That right there tells you the relay on the compressor was good abecause he didn't have time enough to pull it out take the back off. Confirm the relay was bad, then go out to his truck and spend 15 minutes finding the part getting it running and inspect the coils Of cours it's gonna frost thats what they do but to determine a leak he would have to wait untill it had a nice frost pattern or just an iceball forming right at the beginning.Also to verify a leak, you have to stick a valve on it and hook up your gages and see if its running in a vacuum.If it is.Then you have to determine if its a leak or a restriction by adding freon to it.At that point an hour and a half later you would of had an accurate diagnosis .........But I wouldn't of even gone as far as telling you it had a leak,if the coils were starting to frost I would of said plug it back in I'll be back tomorrow because It needs to be running and cooled off when I come back, and I find out before I go out by calling the customer and qualifying the call So I know whats wrong with it before I get there, Providing customer gave me accurate info with the problem
gottado  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 2:15:55 PM(UTC)
gottado

I wasn't home when all this transpired but I just spoke to the wife. She says and this is what I thought I presented was that the Tech first off switched out the starter relay which I'm sure noises of this sort would be evident to an experienced ear, then got the unit up and going then waited those 15 min or so by then the coils bearly had a frost build up and by that made his prognosis.

Could it be a bad ADC again???
v2k04  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 3:08:58 PM(UTC)
v2k04

So did he take his relay back off and now it wont run at all? It sounds like from the very beginning of your post all that was wrong was a defrost problem. Have you plugged it in Is the compressor running? (verify it) or is it just clicking and dimming the lights in the box trying to start if it is running for 24 hours has it given the coils enough time to frost and its starting to cool again? but quits cooling 3-4 days later?He has thrown out 2 problems both unrelated to the other, I doubt your compressor took a dump from the coils beling frosted up. However I gues it is possible cuz it was weak and running continuously cuz it had a defrost problem. Not probable tho.If just 24-48 hours before the coil had so much frost on it it looked like Glacier Park
gottado  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 3:21:49 PM(UTC)
gottado

Yes he did take his relay back as not to charge us for it ( thoughtful ). Not settling well with his prognosis, I got my own and am in the process today as I type of cleaning under the unit real good, puting in he new relay and see how she does.

I did find though that the drain tube was quite slow in draining, so I removed it and cleaned it. Don't know if it means anything but its clean now
v2k04  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 3:58:14 PM(UTC)
v2k04

Ya got me wondering now if he left the old relay put it in and see if it works
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply