Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
coachant  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:43:19 PM(UTC)
coachant

Groups: Registered

Hello,
I've had my Imperial (seems to be Frigidaire now) UL5000ECW4 since 2000. The Commercial Manual Defrost Freezer still runs like a tank! The only issue I have is that the top left corner (opposite side of hinges) will not seal. I did notice the lower right gasket corner was folded in just a little and about 8 inches of the gasket on the bottom was not locked in under plastic rail. I reattached the gasket on the bottom of the door. After looking at the post in this forum I used a hair dryer to straighten out the gasket on the bottom right by the lower hinge. I also taped the door shut on the top left to get it to seal. Hopefully it works!

The Freezer is used for a daycare and the ladies are not the nicest to this tank. On top of everything I suspect that the door may be tweaked. Other posts mention that the door is a 2 piece door and the screws need to be removed and the door realigned on a flat surface. I'm going to see how things look tomorrow and then take a look at the hinges if there are still issues (also got the idea from the forum).

I haven't heard the door seal (vacuum sound) in about 6 months. The freezer will form ice so it does seem like a seal issue.

How exactly does the door self seal? The door seems to suck in when working properly. Is any mechanical device that aids in the evacuation of air? I'd really like to know.

Thanks!
Anthony
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 1:26:14 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for FRIGIDAIRE UL5000ECW4 | AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="Blue"]How exactly does the door self seal?[/COLOR]
I do not know this. Hopefully someone else will jump in with this info.
Some seals do have a magnetic strip built into them.

[COLOR="Blue"]Is any mechanical device that aids in the evacuation of air[/COLOR]
Not in evacuating air but in holding the door closed yes.
The door's lower hinge does have a set of ramps that aid in keeping the door closed. The door rides up and over these ramps so that when it is closed it is on the down ramp holding the door closed. See Item 22A in Section 1 and Item 26 in Section 2 of the parts, if you click on the part's picture you should be able to expand it to get a better view.
Perhaps one of theses is broken as they are plastic.

It is fairly common for a seal to grab onto the frame and not seal properly. A light coating of vaseline or white lithium grease prevents this especially on the hing side.

Also make sure the unit is level or leaning slightly to the back.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
richappy  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 1:30:08 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You can try duck tape to hold the door shut overnight, if gasket is still good, that should fix it.
If you stick a dollar bill between the gasket and frame, it should be hard to remove it, if very easy, you have a bad gasket.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply