Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
penaddict  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 2, 2010 8:26:38 AM(UTC)
penaddict

Groups: Registered

Last night when I ran the dishwasher, I noticed during the wash cycles (maybe rinse too) that there was a loud vibrating grinding noise. I run it on speed cycle (40 minutes) and the sound was appearing for about half the time it was running. None of the wash arms were being blocked and I couldn't see anything potential banging. Also, I always clear all food before putting something into the dishwasher.

Any suggestions as I've never taken apart a dishwasher before but I can follow instructions. I would rather try and do it myself than pay a repair person.

Thanks.

--Jo
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

worahm  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2010 6:15:28 AM(UTC)
worahm

Originally Posted by: penaddict Go to Quoted Post
Last night when I ran the dishwasher, I noticed during the wash cycles (maybe rinse too) that there was a loud vibrating grinding noise. I run it on speed cycle (40 minutes) and the sound was appearing for about half the time it was running. None of the wash arms were being blocked and I couldn't see anything potential banging. Also, I always clear all food before putting something into the dishwasher.

Any suggestions as I've never taken apart a dishwasher before but I can follow instructions. I would rather try and do it myself than pay a repair person.

Thanks.

--Jo

I have the same model GE dishwasher and the same symptom. To me, the "grinding" noise might be better described as a vibrating, low pitch growling noise that is only present during the wash cycle. Almost like a spray arm is vibrating or hitting something when it spins. The vibration (noise) is not always present. Sometimes, it will go through a complete cycle and not make the noise.

I checked to see if the washing arms are hitting anything and found nothing.

I can sort of re-create the growling noise when I spin the lower arm with my hand. It does not always spin smoothly, it will sort of wobble and vibrate creating a similar growling noise as it turns.

I have removed the lower spin arm and found nothing unusal.

Other then the vibration, low pitched gowling noise, the machine works perfectly.

Bill
worahm  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:17:49 AM(UTC)
worahm

Originally Posted by: worahm Go to Quoted Post
I have the same model GE dishwasher and the same symptom. To me, the "grinding" noise might be better described as a vibrating, low pitch growling noise that is only present during the wash cycle. Almost like a spray arm is vibrating or hitting something when it spins. The vibration (noise) is not always present. Sometimes, it will go through a complete cycle and not make the noise.

I checked to see if the washing arms are hitting anything and found nothing.

I can sort of re-create the growling noise when I spin the lower arm with my hand. It does not always spin smoothly, it will sort of wobble and vibrate creating a similar growling noise as it turns.

I have removed the lower spin arm and found nothing unusal.

Other then the vibration, low pitched gowling noise, the machine works perfectly.

Bill

It's your lucky day. :) I fixed my noisy GE dishwasher by replacing the missing O ring on the plastic nipple that mates to the plastic tube that feeds water to the middle spray arm. The tube is located inside the cabinet just behind the upper basket. The O ring was approximately 5/8" in diameter and fit snugly over the nipple into a groove on the nipple. It appears the O ring prevents the tube from vibrating. The fix took less then one minute. Bill
gcroft1  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2011 9:33:19 AM(UTC)
gcroft1

:) :) My "o" ring was also missing. Thanks for your post. Interesting that that the GE parts list doesnt show the o ring. It's so nice and quite now....
ratickle  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 9:04:43 AM(UTC)
ratickle

If you are hearing that "growling" noise check the tube on the back of the dishwasher that feeds water to the middle spray arm. If you see a groove but no o-ring, trying putting a 5/8" ID o-ring on there and see if that gets rid of the noise. I installed that on a dishwasher over the weekend and not only is it quiet again but it also seems to be doing a better job of cleaning the dishes.