Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hlitebrite  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:26:31 PM(UTC)
hlitebrite

Groups: Registered

I believe it is the Compressor that is in the lower left bottom in back of fridge. The unit is black cylindrical and it makes a sound when I plug in the refrigerator.

The fridge was unplugged and then plugged back in since it is not in use all the time. When I last plugged it in the refrigerator and freezer stopped cooling completely, noticed a wire burning smell. I can still hear what I believe to be the compressor working (see above) but noticed that the 2W output fan to the right of the compressor was not working.

I removed the fan and noticed that the wire was burnt and as I pulled the rubber protection the red wires were all burned inside.

QUESTION: If I replace this fan, so long as the compressor is working, will this start the freezer and fridge to cool again? Is this the cause of it not cooling?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:36:23 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

The fan you are talking about it the condensor fan, which cools the compressor.
Replacing the fan will not make the compressor start. You probably need to check the start device/overload and capacitor to make sure they are good and get the compressor to start before worrying about replacing the fan.
If the compressor starts and pumps the freon it should cool.
Nat
hlitebrite  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2008 7:04:55 AM(UTC)
hlitebrite

Thank you very much for your reply. The compressor is working, the only thing not working is the fan motor which I found the chord was burned. Did you say that as long as the compressor is working, installing the fan motor will make the refrigerator cool.

If I order the fan motor, how do I remove the fan from the old motor to the new one, and how do I install the fan to the fan motor. Do I have to take the motor apart?
libertyappl  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2008 7:22:43 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Yes, replacing the motor is all you need to do. The fan motor is attached with screws to the mounting brackets and there should be a nut that holds the fan blade on. You could use a universal motor SM999.

Nat
Gary McMains  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:49:05 AM(UTC)
Gary McMains

What is the easiet way to remove the condensor fan motor which way is the easiest? Remove blade first and remove the screws on the back of motor or take off the brackets going to the motor?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply