Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dag  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 9, 2010 9:42:36 PM(UTC)
Dag

Groups: Registered

Working on my belt-driven Frigidaire.

Problem:

When it reaches the spin cycle the motor engages, the water drains, but the basket does not spin.

The motor turns on and spins on the belt, but the belt does not move, creating a burning smell.

Troubleshooting I have done:

The agitator agitates during wash cycle, the belt does not burn, movement seems fine.

While machine is off, the basket can be turned by hand, in one direction only.

The Transmission pulley also turns by hand, in one direction only, and does not cause Transmission body to spin. When transmission pulley is turned, agitator turns.

Transmission body can be turned by hand, in one direction only, turns both pulley and basket when turned by hand.

"Idler pulley" is applying tension to the belt

Belt is worn, and has mild cracking, but is otherwise intact.

Help?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 4:27:40 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Sounds like your transmission is hung up. If the machine is really less than one year old, see about warranty service.

If it is not in warranty, consider a new machine. In our area the local big box store has a new Frigidaire, 3.1 cu ft with separate water levela and temp controls for $259.00.
Dag  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2010 5:53:46 PM(UTC)
Dag

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like your transmission is hung up. If the machine is really less than one year old, see about warranty service.

If it is not in warranty, consider a new machine. In our area the local big box store has a new Frigidaire, 3.1 cu ft with separate water levela and temp controls for $259.00.

Actually, I just noticed that I filled out that part of the form wrong. The machine is actually about 13-15 years old. It's been a solid washer, and I live in Detroit, so we can't really afford to pick up a new one...

looks like it's time to check craigslist...
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:03:14 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

If you are buying used you should be able to find a good top loader for $100 to $150.00. I strongly recommend against a front loader or anything with electronic controls.

Given the age of your machine I think that's the right decision.
davelwell  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:39:19 PM(UTC)
davelwell

hey Dag, I have the same problem with a different model Frigidaire. I spoke to a friend who used to work on these things. He says it is the lid switch. I haven't had a chance to check this myself, so do it at your own risk, I don't want to be responsible if something goes wrong, I will check my machine. He told me to short out the 2 wires, bypassing the switch. There maybe a 3rd wire which is a ground. The purpose of the switch is to lock the lid when it goes into spin, so you can't open it, or leave it open while it spins, otherwise the cat may jump in. If it works, then I can just get a new switch. maybe look at a schematic before doing it. I may not get to mine until the weekend but I'll let you know.
You can find my post if you go to advance search and search by user name davelwell
good luck, hope it works & saves us both some $$$