Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
honnat  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 9, 2010 10:59:40 AM(UTC)
honnat

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Fridge TPX24BRBB BB that is not getting cool. We noticed last night that the freezer was not freezing right; so I vacumed the coils underneath as best I could get at. That seemed to take care of the freezer and it is getting down to about 12 degrees now. However the fridge is not getting below about 46 degrees. I took the panels off the back and noticed that the condensor is HOT to the touch; and the condensor fan is not turning on. I read on here that I could be dealing with a fan motor OR a 'main board' issue. I am 99% sure that my particular fridge does NOT have a main board that controls the parts in the bottom. I just spoke with the parts customer service for appliance parts and she informed me that I do not.
Currently I have a fan blowing directly on the compressor; and it has been for several hours. The fridge is still not getting any cooler.
I also took the panel off inside the freezer to see if I had frost building up and I do not.
Any way to further diagose the problem? I woudl just get a compressor fan motor; but I'm thinking that since I've got lots of air moving down there now; and it is not helping - I might have something else going on.
I have had a thermometer in there to see how it is doing. Yesterday with my external fan on it went back and forth between about 34 degrees and 45. Today it has been staying cool; but the condensor fan is still not kicking in.
Is there any way to test (or have a pro test) to see if my condensor is on it's last legs; OR diagnose some other issue?

Please help! Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.