Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joan Cartier  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 3, 2010 5:58:52 AM(UTC)
Joan Cartier

Groups: Registered

The dryer will not heat up and the moisture sensor doesn't light up on the front panel. Is this likely to be just the moisture sensor failure? Are moisture sensor likely to fail or is it more likely to be a thermostat issue?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 3, 2010 6:52:56 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for MAYTAG MDE6000AYW Dryer - Ele | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is a service manual
http://www.servicematters.com/maytag_library/docs/16023110.pdf

Ads far as I know the moisture sensor does not have an effect on the heater, it just controls the timer.

I could not find info as to when the sensor light should come on. If it comes on when the clothes are supposed to be dry it could be that the sensor needs cleaning.
The way the sensor works is that during normal operation a small voltage is applied to the sensor bars. The unit then measures current between these bars. Moisture between the bars provides a circuit path for the current when totally dry (no moisture) there is no current path. Any dirt between the bars will also provide a current path so the unit thinks the clothes are always wet.

Try running diagnostics to see if that will give you clues.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Joan Cartier  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 3, 2010 8:05:16 AM(UTC)
Joan Cartier

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the link to the manual. The reason I thought it is the moisture sensor is that it goes through all the motions of running for a few minutes and then shuts off as though it thinks it dry. But from the manual I can see it could be either of the two thermostats.
denman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 3, 2010 4:08:14 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The symptom of the unit running and the shutting off is usually related to the motor overheating. As far as I know there is nothing in the heater circuit that will shut the unit off. The thermostats will just shut off the heat.

If the unit shuts off and you have to wait a couple minutes before it will restart then it is probably the motor. If the motor overheats it's internal thermal protect open shutting off the dryer. You then have to wait till the motor cools down and it's internal thermal protect resets to re-start the dryer.

If this is the case try turning the drum by hand. It should rotate fairly easily if not it may be overloading the motor.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply