Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tfritzy  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:21:39 PM(UTC)
Tfritzy

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore direct drive washing machine started making some clunking noise while in the wash cylce. Thought perhaps the dogs were going to need replaced again. Yesterday, the machine while in cycle was making that loud clunking noise while agitating, then when it went to spin cycle it would not drain. When in the spin cycle it started making a loud buzzing sound and would not drain. I pulled the pump hoping for a clog, however that was not the problem. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Tfritzy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:32:07 PM(UTC)
Tfritzy

Groups: Registered

After searching for prices for New Washer and Dryer, and trying to swallow that I may have to replace a Washing Machine that is six years old I started digging deeper. I figured at this point it wasn't washing clothes and I wasn't going to make it worse.
I dropped the motor and gear box from the unit. All I had to do was take the agitator out of the tub, then remove three small bolts that held the motor and gear box in place. Of course took the hoses off the pump, and the whole assembly comes out.
After looking closely it was clear the motor was not the problem (which is a good thing) replacement motor was around $235.00. Anyway, the shaft would only turn so far before becoming jammed and you could hear a slight knocking in the gear case. That loud noise I described earlier was the motor whinning when the drive shaft would bind overloading the motor. This lead me to believe that I had a busted gear, or something wrong in the gear box, or I was hoping a bad motor coupler. I separated the gearbox from the motor simply by removing to metal spring straps and inspected the motor coupling to make sure that wasn't the problem. They were fine. I took the gear case apart just to be sure, and sure enough a broken gear. The good news is I got the part number off the case searched for parts. I have bought parts with great service off appliance pros before, however I have to tell you I found a factory reconditioned gear box with exact same warranty as a new one on the sears website. Appliance pros wanted approximately $140, Sears wanted $159 however the factory reconditioned from Sears was $109.00. Only bad thing was I ordered the part Monday, and just checked today (wednesday) and they still haven't shipped the part........Laundry is piling up, however a little patience waiting for the part Still beats buying a new washer, and of course having to get a matching Dryer.......Hope this info helps perhaps point you in the right direction if you have similar symptoms with your washer! Good Luck !
One last thing, I am in no means an appliance repair guy, but anyone with a little mechanical ability could and can repair this problem. Don't be afraid. Again, Good Luck ! Tfritzy