Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dville  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:05:09 AM(UTC)
dville

Groups: Registered

I have an old subzero that came with the house I purchased. It was installed in 1980. According to the repair man, the compressor is out and I need to have this, the evaporator, heat exchanger, gaskets and freon replaced and the cost is $1600. I would like to know from others if this is worth the repair. Unfortunately for me, I also have the Freezer next to it 201FD and it works fine, so I have to consider this unit in the decision as well. Can anyone give me thoughts on which avenue you took and why. Just trying to rationally think through this and would like to hear stories. Is it worth the repair or should I just replace them? Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

judykella  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:04:35 PM(UTC)
judykella

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: dville Go to Quoted Post
I have an old subzero that came with the house I purchased. It was installed in 1980. According to the repair man, the compressor is out and I need to have this, the evaporator, heat exchanger, gaskets and freon replaced and the cost is $1600. I would like to know from others if this is worth the repair. Unfortunately for me, I also have the Freezer next to it 201FD and it works fine, so I have to consider this unit in the decision as well. Can anyone give me thoughts on which avenue you took and why. Just trying to rationally think through this and would like to hear stories. Is it worth the repair or should I just replace them? Thanks!

I have the same problem......did anyone help you?
richappy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:39:01 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
There are many things to consider.
They are usually built in and will require carpentry work as the same exact size may not be available as a new unit
Soon, the parts for this may no longer be available, like shelves and things.
You can get a fine GE unit for less money, new!!
The repair cost is way over the value of the unit.
Repair people admit there is some percent of repairs that fail later, for a really good repair crew, maybe 5%. Sort of not worth the uncertainty.
Most of the time, the old fiber insulation will absorb water, sometimes thaw, and create wiring and metal deteriation, and cause reduced efficiency.
In the end, you will still have a old , out of fashion unit.
And finally, you will not have a energy saving unit, new ones use about 50% less energy.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply