Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cobigcheese  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 2:50:16 PM(UTC)
cobigcheese

Groups: Registered

Forgive me for not searching much on here, I wanted to get this posted in the next 10 minutes so I could check it later tonight when I get home. I've done a bunch of research today but not on this forum.

So last night my wife was switching loads and said the dryer "smelled bad". Went in to take a look and there was a definite burning smell. The dryer drum would barely turn by hand. When I unloaded it and tried starting it again it just made a buzzing noise and wouldn't start.

Pulled it apart at lunch and there was a LOT of lint. Probably as a result of the vent being clogged a few years ago.

Tried to spin the blower blade by hand and it barely turns.

Tried spinning the two drum support rollers on the front panel. One spins freely, one is pretty stiff. Lots of hair wrapped around it, etc...

Wasn't able to try the rear drum supports.... couldn't quite figure out how to release the belt and get the drum out, but I think I see how to do that now.

I'm guessing it's the motor and maybe the drum support rollers need to be cleaned up or replaced as well. Does this sound like the most logical problem?

I've found the motors (279787) on numerous sites (half price of what sears parts center wants). I can even get it with new drum support rollers and a new belt for $50 less than Sears wants for just the motor. I'm guessing go ahead and replace the belt now as it is 10 or 11 years old.

Any advice much appreciated.

PS - JUST received my replacement lid switch for my washer that quit working last week (although at least I was able to get it working in the mean time). When it rains it pours I guess.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.