Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
grj8  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 9:04:15 AM(UTC)
grj8

Groups: Registered

Hello

My 5 yr old GE Washer, stopped spinning abruptly (though is a continuous hum, and the fan on the pump is working.) I researched this issue on the web. I opened the front, disconnected the pump, cleaned it, made sure there was nothing obstructing the pump flow for either of the connectors, and put it back together. It seemed to work for a short period, after I held the START button in, for a few seconds. Then when I stopped it, it would not restart. There was a slight smell (burn?)

I am not very experienced, in this area, and was able to do all of the above, only because of the expert guidance found on the web.

However, before I purchase a new pump #WH23X10013 (************.com - $51) I wanted to ascertain that it was what the actual problem was, and not something else.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

*********** UPDATE ***********
I determined that the pump is fine and works on its own.

However, there is a burning smell (rubber?). When I try to move the belt by hand, it turns counter-clockwise, but NOT clockwise. The belt itself looks fine. Could it be the motor itself needs to be replaced? Is this a lost cause? and would the cost be prohibitive and am I better off getting a new washer? Please HELP!

Thanks

Linda
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 3:13:31 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If you said it does not spin why did you blame the drain pump?

Can you confirm the failure, please.

Gene.
grj8  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 3:21:32 PM(UTC)
grj8

Hello

This has been going on all weekend. I read on one of the posts, that there is usually something stuck in the pump that usually creates the problem. As this was a very steep learning curve for me, I had obtained all the diagrams and tried to educate myself about the workings of the machine.

The original issue still exists- that the washer stopped spinning. The clothes were still wet. I removed the hose from the back and drained the water out (as mentioned on one of the posts).

Now when I try the SPIN ONLY cycle, it seems: the agitator(?) starts, then stops, and there is a soft hum, but no spin. When I tried it with the front open, I noticed the fan on the pump was working. The slight smell seems to be coming from the area of the motor, but I am not sure.

Thanks, in advance for your reply and assistance.

Linda
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 3:27:22 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Linda,

I'm afraid the motor gone bad. Remove the belt and run the washer on the spin cycle. Post the results.

Here are the break down diagrams for the GE washer Model WPSE5290A0AA

Gene.
grj8  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 3:38:53 PM(UTC)
grj8

I am going to do that now- I didn't know that anything would work without the belt. I will post the results. I am on the east coast- and I may not get to post the results until late.

I do thank you for your response.

Thanks
Linda
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply