Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Twindad  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 8:37:38 AM(UTC)
Twindad

Groups: Registered

I own a Whirlpool "Gold" clothes washer. Machine works fine mechanically except the Fabric Softner dispenser. Not sure when it is intended to come out of the dispenser but it does not do so until after the final spin - then it just drips into the drum and on the clothes. I removed all parts down to the lower agitator - cleaned, inspected and re-installed. Still does the same thing. I also put the softner in the dispenser with water per instruction manual. Everything is clean - good working order but will not properly dispense softner. Anyone???????
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2010 8:58:15 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Twindad Go to Quoted Post
I own a Whirlpool "Gold" clothes washer. Machine works fine mechanically except the Fabric Softner dispenser. Not sure when it is intended to come out of the dispenser but it does not do so until after the final spin - then it just drips into the drum and on the clothes. I removed all parts down to the lower agitator - cleaned, inspected and re-installed. Still does the same thing. I also put the softner in the dispenser with water per instruction manual. Everything is clean - good working order but will not properly dispense softner. Anyone???????

Do you have a model number ?
(we need it for proper research and advise)

Do you have a dispenser in the top of the loading door area,
or do you pour the softner in the center of the agitator ?

What cycle(regular, permanent press, delicates) does this occur ?

Your answers will help to determine the possibilties.

Thanks,
Twindad  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 5:35:19 AM(UTC)
Twindad

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Do you have a model number ?
(we need it for proper research and advise)

Do you have a dispenser in the top of the loading door area,
or do you pour the softner in the center of the agitator ?

What cycle(regular, permanent press, delicates) does this occur ?

Your answers will help to determine the possibilties.

Thanks,

Model number Whirlpool GST9675JQ3. Dispenser is located at the top of the Agitator. I only use the normal cycle so I am not sure if it would occur on any other.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 7:06:28 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Model number Whirlpool GST9675JQ3. Dispenser is located at the top of the Agitator. I only use the normal cycle so I am not sure if it would occur on any other.

Twindad,

Thanks for the model number, and the description.

That particular style dispenser in essence, works on centrifical force.

You add the softner in the cup, when the washer finishes the wash cycle and spins, the softner then exits the cup, and is held in suspension inside the agitator, when the washer stops spinning, starts to fill for the rinse cycle, the softner is dispensed out the bottom of the agitator and into the rinse water as it fills.

There are several possible problems that can cause this .

Off balance load.
Slow spin speed selected.
clogged agitator / dispenser cup.
Slipping clutch / brake assembly.

To check the cup and agitator.

Remove the cup and check the slots in the top of the cup for softner build up.

Remove the dispenser assembly from the top of the agitator, you should be able to do this, no tools required(it is a very tight fit).
Remove the plastic dome cover(also very tight fit).
Remove the agitator bolt, in the center of the agitator, and remove exterior agitator, and check for softner build up on the interior of the agitator.

If you find no build up in any of these areas, Then you would have, off balanced loads or a slipping clutch/brake assembly.

I'm leaning more towards a slipping clutch/brake assembly, but check the agitator, and dispenser cup and let us know .

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Twindad  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:22:39 AM(UTC)
Twindad

Joe M - appreciate you working with me on this. Update - I ordered all the parts inside the tub (lower agitator up to the dispenser) just to remove the possibility of the obvious. Recieved them last night - Removed old and installed new - condition still there. So, it would seem that the discrepency would either be the load or a slipping clutch/brake assy. Load does not appear to be an issue in that I have run varrying size loads and water levels. Unless you have a different direction - I will order the clutch/brake assy and see if that will not correct the issue. By the way, I was really impressed with Appliancepartspros - I paid for express shipping of the parts. They went out ground ship by mistake - your folks caught the mistake - notified me and refunded the shipping before I had a chance to notify them - That's customer service that is not easily found now a days.
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:27:12 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe M - appreciate you working with me on this. Update - I ordered all the parts inside the tub (lower agitator up to the dispenser) just to remove the possibility of the obvious. Recieved them last night - Removed old and installed new - condition still there. So, it would seem that the discrepency would either be the load or a slipping clutch/brake assy. Load does not appear to be an issue in that I have run varrying size loads and water levels. Unless you have a different direction - I will order the clutch/brake assy and see if that will not correct the issue. By the way, I was really impressed with Appliancepartspros - I paid for express shipping of the parts. They went out ground ship by mistake - your folks caught the mistake - notified me and refunded the shipping before I had a chance to notify them - That's customer service that is not easily found now a days.

Twindad,

Glad everything went well with your parts order, and we were able to solve any problems before they arose, I'll pass your note on the the Parts team leaders.

Replacing the clutch brake assembly , looks like a major repair, but not really.

We have numerous threads and posts in our forum that will help you through the process, and I have attached a primer, for you to review.

If you need anything, drop us a line.

:) :) :)

Clutch Replacement on Whirlpool and Kenmore Washers
Twindad  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:23:17 AM(UTC)
Twindad

Joe - appreciate your assistance. The primer is a real nice guide - thanks; I feel confident that I can accomplish the task. After I looked on the site and priced out the clutch/brake assy I decided that I would not throw parts at this. The machine is about 8 years old and if I were to buy the parts that might fix it plus one or two that should be replaced since I'm into it for another job I.E. coupler, water pump, added to the parts that I've already replaced I would be approaching the original cost of the washer. So, we bought a softner ball - and will run the machine until it completly fails - then get a new one. Just seems to make better fiscal sense. Again, thank you very much for your help.
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:10:37 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe - appreciate your assistance. The primer is a real nice guide - thanks; I feel confident that I can accomplish the task. After I looked on the site and priced out the clutch/brake assy I decided that I would not throw parts at this. The machine is about 8 years old and if I were to buy the parts that might fix it plus one or two that should be replaced since I'm into it for another job I.E. coupler, water pump, added to the parts that I've already replaced I would be approaching the original cost of the washer. So, we bought a softner ball - and will run the machine until it completly fails - then get a new one. Just seems to make better fiscal sense. Again, thank you very much for your help.

Twindad,

You're welcome.

I wish it had not gotten into such an involved repair, but you're idea, using it until it fails, and replace it, is not that far from reality,

I've had to make that reccomendation, to customers myself, several (100's) of times .

Good luck,

:) :)
Twindad  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 4:20:05 AM(UTC)
Twindad

Yea, I wish it hadn't become so involved either - however, it's not my abilities to do the job that steers me away - simply a fiscal decission of what makes sense. Again, thank you very much for your assistance with this Joe. Like I said earlier, it is not all to often that one finds such valuable customer service as you folks offer.
Joe / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 5:08:15 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Yea, I wish it hadn't become so involved either - however, it's not my abilities to do the job that steers me away - simply a fiscal decission of what makes sense. Again, thank you very much for your assistance with this Joe. Like I said earlier, it is not all to often that one finds such valuable customer service as you folks offer.

No, you misunderstood,

I was not questioning your abilities,

I was unemployed for quite a while myself, we'll never recover, and have to make do with what we have.

Good Luck,
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply