Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nickysduck2  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 12:10:38 PM(UTC)
nickysduck2

Groups: Registered

My freezer is only 2 years old and always worked fine, but recently it has been making a whistling sound off and on and sounds like the motor kicks off and on a lot.It's also stopped making ice.I lost my owners manual so i can't troubleshoot the problem. The sound is annoying.It is still freezing fine and this seems to be the only problem.Whays should I do?

Thanks
Nickysduck2
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:20:01 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Measure the temperature inm the freezer, must be below 15 degrees for icemaker. Turn cold control to higher number and re-check. Also check condensing coils for clog.
You have the infamous "motherboard" in the back of the fridge. It sends different frequencies to the evaporator motor as a function of cooling demand.
Call GE, they where replacing them free, but maybe no more!!
If not, your recourse is to change it. If you have a meter and a little knowledge I can send you more info.If you do.go to www.applianceguru.com/forum1/3075.html At this site you will get info on where to test the thermistors and other things.