Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rockstar_not  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:15:08 PM(UTC)
rockstar_not

Groups: Registered

My top loading GE Washer seems to do everything except agitate. I've made appliance repairs (actually just on my old Maytag gas dryer) and I think I'm up to the task if it's a fairly simple thing.

Is there a way to remove the Agitator - I've seen some posts on other models that say to just pull up sharply on the Agitator.

I've seen another post that says this might be a pretty cheap repair - some kind of torque overload protector that fails intentionally.

Agitator top part spins one direction like it's clutched somehow. The bottom of the agitator assembly (the part that just has the 4 vertical flutes on it, not the corkscrewed flutes) spins freely in both clockwise and counter-clockwise directions.

Any clues on what might be wrong here and how to get started repairing? Family of 6 has laundry piling up.

-Scott
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:30:45 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

By looking at the breakdown it looks like remove the fabric softener and look down there appears to be a bolt, if so after you remove that you should just be able to pull straight up and there is an agitator coupler uner there that may be you problem.
Hope that helps,
Nat
rockstar_not  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:40:04 PM(UTC)
rockstar_not

Groups: Registered

Well, I went for it and yanked up on the Agitator - seems fine. There was a 7/16 nut, cranked it open, and the 'air bell' plastic teeth that fit on the spline were basically ground down to nothingness.

I'll assume that's where my problem is. Looks like a fairly inexpensive part to replace if I can find one locally.
libertyappl  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:44:10 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

That sure sounds ike the problem, the part number is WH43X0137
Hope that gets you up and going. Although unless there's a GE repiar place or a main parts supplier that's probably not a part most local shop would have in stock. Or at least we don't, of course there's not many GE's around here.
libertyappl  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:45:32 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Part from here is less than $5 part number AP3964635
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply