Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chuckellis  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:57:10 PM(UTC)
Quote
chuckellis

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/10/2010(UTC)
Posts: 2

I have a Samsung dryer that shuts off after about ten seconds. The display shows error code E5 except the top horizontal bar of the E is not there. The manual suggests this means there is a heater temperature control problem and to call for service. I have tested all three thermostats and they test good as direct shorts. I have tested the thermistor which tests fine as well, 10k ohms at room temperature and 1k ohms when heated with a hair dryer. The heater also tests at 10k ohms and looks fine. I did notice that in the ten seconds the dryer runs that the heater does not start to glow. Not sure if that is long enough or not. A voltage test shows 120 volts AC on both sides of the heater during the ten seconds it runs. I don't know what else to test. I am almost convinced it is the main control board. However it worked fine until the lint that build up in the dryer caught on fire and then burned itself out. I cleaned all lent out of the cabinet. Not sure how this could have impacted the main control board which sits over the drum and was not impacted. Any suggestions out there?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com
 
Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:40:36 PM(UTC)
Quote
Joe / APP Team

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Moderators
Joined: 7/14/2010(UTC)
Posts: 5,222

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chuckellis Go to Quoted Post
I have a Samsung dryer that shuts off after about ten seconds. The display shows error code E5 except the top horizontal bar of the E is not there. The manual suggests this means there is a heater temperature control problem and to call for service. I have tested all three thermostats and they test good as direct shorts. I have tested the thermistor which tests fine as well, 10k ohms at room temperature and 1k ohms when heated with a hair dryer. The heater also tests at 10k ohms and looks fine. I did notice that in the ten seconds the dryer runs that the heater does not start to glow. Not sure if that is long enough or not. A voltage test shows 120 volts AC on both sides of the heater during the ten seconds it runs. I don't know what else to test. I am almost convinced it is the main control board. However it worked fine until the lint that build up in the dryer caught on fire and then burned itself out. I cleaned all lent out of the cabinet. Not sure how this could have impacted the main control board which sits over the drum and was not impacted. Any suggestions out there?



Actually, your heater should energize in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds, if all the thermostats and thermistor readings are correct to the control board.

Then the control is looking for a change in the thermistor resistance, if it doesn't a change, it sees that as an error and shuts the unit down.

I take for granted you checked your exhaust vent and tube for restrictions or clogs ?

With the readings you gave and a clean exhaust vent system,

I'd suspect the heater relay on the control board has failed, or a wire from the relay to the heater is broken.

At the control board on relay #2(heater relay) check the black terminal for 120 volts ac (in) and the blue wire terminal(wire off the terminal) for 120 vac (out) to the heater.

If that checks proper, you need to check for a damaged wire from the control board to the heater, and from the motor to the heater.

Hope this gives you a good idea/direction to go in.
chuckellis  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:16:13 AM(UTC)
Quote
chuckellis

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/10/2010(UTC)
Posts: 2

Thanks for the response! Found the issue in the wiring harness. The two wires to the thermistor had the insullation melted off and they were shorted together bypassing the thermistor. On to the next honey do.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:42:14 PM(UTC)
Quote
Joe / APP Team

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Moderators
Joined: 7/14/2010(UTC)
Posts: 5,222

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chuckellis Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the response! Found the issue in the wiring harness. The two wires to the thermistor had the insullation melted off and they were shorted together bypassing the thermistor. On to the next honey do.


Great,

I like good news.

Thanks,
:) ;) :cool:
Guest  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 11:47:13 AM(UTC)
Quote
Guest

Rank: Guest

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/10/2018(UTC)
Posts: 0
United States
Location: 99556

Had the same issue. Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
Users browsing this topic
New Topic Post Reply
Forum Jump  
You can post new topics in this forum.
You can reply to topics in this forum.
You can delete your posts in this forum.
You can edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You can vote in polls in this forum.