Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joe / APP Team  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:53:42 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jonnyshaw Go to Quoted Post
I am at my wits end with this dryer and don't know where else to turn.

Same issue with it running 20 min and then over heating. Lint trap is clear dryer vent not blocked dryer pulled out so it has a strait shot. Replaced thermostats and thermo-fuses. Been through 2 "new" motors. Resistance of heating coil is around 10 ohms. dryer is a Samsung DV316LES/XAA please help before it ends up on the curb.

Johnny,

The only thing you haven't coverred is the belt switch and wiring.

Have you run the diagnostic codes in the control board ?

You may want to run the dryer, with the exhaust vent disconnected from the back of the dryer as well, it should help us to determine a possible overheat situation, causing the thermal cut out on the heater to open .

Let us know what you find, and we can go from there.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
jonnyshaw  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2011 8:14:26 PM(UTC)
jonnyshaw

Groups: Registered

So I was finally able to figure it out and it ended up being one of those things were you're like "HELLO!!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!" The problem ended up being a Thermistor, one of the first things you check right? When I originally checked it there was continuity and it ohmed out so I just moved on. Turns out it was actually about 3K Ohms off and that made the PCB guess what the temperature was and with each cycle of the heating element the PCB kept guessing that it was cooler and cooler till eventually it just overheated.

At least it's finally fixed though live and learn I guess, just kicking myself for buying a motor when I didn't need to.
Joe / APP Team  
#13 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2011 6:41:55 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: jonnyshaw Go to Quoted Post
So I was finally able to figure it out and it ended up being one of those things were you're like "HELLO!!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!" The problem ended up being a Thermistor, one of the first things you check right? When I originally checked it there was continuity and it ohmed out so I just moved on. Turns out it was actually about 3K Ohms off and that made the PCB guess what the temperature was and with each cycle of the heating element the PCB kept guessing that it was cooler and cooler till eventually it just overheated.

At least it's finally fixed though live and learn I guess, just kicking myself for buying a motor when I didn't need to.

Johnny,

Great job.

We're glad you're up and running.

Good Luck,

:) :) :)
Gpeever  
#14 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 10:38:17 AM(UTC)
Gpeever

Joe, I have a very similar model dryer which is doing the EXACT same thing as described in this thread. However i have already replaced the thermistor last night and did a test run and same thing occurred. also the exhaust vent is clean and unobstructed. Thanks,
Joe / APP Team  
#15 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 1:48:31 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: Gpeever Go to Quoted Post
Joe, I have a very similar model dryer which is doing the EXACT same thing as described in this thread. However i have already replaced the thermistor last night and did a test run and same thing occurred. also the exhaust vent is clean and unobstructed. Thanks,

Gpeever, Since you've cleaned out the lint and checked the exhaust vent and hood. You'll want to check the blower wheel and make sure it is a tight fit on the motor shaft. A loose or rounded blower wheel will disrupt the air flow and cause the dryer to overheat. then check the motor circuit thermal fuse [AP4201892] it may be weak and opening causing the dryer to shut down. The last measure should be the motor it may be overheating and opening the overload. Presumably you've already checked for proper voltage and loose connections and the other recommended checks in the previous posts. Good Luck
Gpeever  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:16:56 PM(UTC)
Gpeever

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Gpeever, Since you've cleaned out the lint and checked the exhaust vent and hood. You'll want to check the blower wheel and make sure it is a tight fit on the motor shaft. A loose or rounded blower wheel will disrupt the air flow and cause the dryer to overheat. then check the motor circuit thermal fuse [AP4201892] it may be weak and opening causing the dryer to shut down. The last measure should be the motor it may be overheating and opening the overload. Presumably you've already checked for proper voltage and loose connections and the other recommended checks in the previous posts. Good Luck

Thanks will do. I have not checked if there is a short between the element and housing. Just checked continuity across the element itself. Usually it is quite hot in the drum even on extra low heat and causes a shut down, however just ran low heat until it shut off, opened the door until the panel became responsive (cooled down) and turned on air fluff (no heat) 2 min in it shuts down. The drum is not overly hot either. This has me thinking the motor is causing the issue as you said above. Wish me luck...
Joe / APP Team  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:08:44 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: Gpeever Go to Quoted Post
Thanks will do. I have not checked if there is a short between the element and housing. Just checked continuity across the element itself. Usually it is quite hot in the drum even on extra low heat and causes a shut down, however just ran low heat until it shut off, opened the door until the panel became responsive (cooled down) and turned on air fluff (no heat) 2 min in it shuts down. The drum is not overly hot either. This has me thinking the motor is causing the issue as you said above. Wish me luck...

Gpeever, Good Luck !!! Let us know what happens.
geotactic  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2015 1:19:05 PM(UTC)
geotactic

Hi everyone,

I have a brand new Samsung Dryer with a brand new rigid vent only 5 ft long with one 90 elbow with new 30 Amp dedicated breaker. The dryer keeps shutting off after 5 minutes, and kicking the breaker off. I had another dryer in same location for a few months, and worked fine. Only bought another set because the washer drum was leaking. Anyways, on the inside of the drum, on the back wall, the heat vent cover is super hot when this happens. Like you can't hold your fingers on it, it's that hot. But why is a new dryer overheating?

Of course, I live in an area where Samsung doesn't service:mad:
Joe / APP Team  
#19 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 5:20:17 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: geotactic Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

I have a brand new Samsung Dryer with a brand new rigid vent only 5 ft long with one 90 elbow with new 30 Amp dedicated breaker. The dryer keeps shutting off after 5 minutes, and kicking the breaker off. I had another dryer in same location for a few months, and worked fine. Only bought another set because the washer drum was leaking. Anyways, on the inside of the drum, on the back wall, the heat vent cover is super hot when this happens. Like you can't hold your fingers on it, it's that hot. But why is a new dryer overheating?

Of course, I live in an area where Samsung doesn't service: mad:

Geotactic, under the circumstances, new dryer, new breaker rigid vent, overheating and tripping the breaker, you'll need to check for a shorted or pinched wire to the heater element or an element that's is drooping once heated and touching the element casing. Also check and make sure the new breaker is properly installed on the buss bars.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply