Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DebnJim  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:08:18 PM(UTC)
DebnJim

Groups: Registered

:)My Advantium is almost 8 yrs. old & has always been very reliable. Everything on the micro seems to be operating except it is not really cooking. The halogen lights,fan,turn table and all of the settings appear to be functional. It seems to be going through the whole process and tells you the food is ready. It was making a rattling noise for a short while before this happened and it seems like the fan was trying to cool it down much more frequently than I can remember it normally used to. Really lost without my favorite appliance. Would really appreciate your assistance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Admin / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:27:24 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Could be a problem with one of the door switches or the high side (diode, capacitor, magnetron or transformer). Because the capacitor stores power in it even if the microwaves is unplugged, I can't really advise on how to proceed for safety reasons, sorry.
DebnJim  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:55:34 PM(UTC)
DebnJim

Originally Posted by: Admin / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Could be a problem with one of the door switches or the high side (diode, capacitor, magnetron or transformer). Because the capacitor stores power in it even if the microwaves is unplugged, I can't really advise on how to proceed for safety reasons, sorry.

Thank You for your honest diagnosis. I managed to locate my old Sears repairman who now works for G.E. and when I explained to him over the phone , he seems to think it's probably the magnetron, capaciter & diode that should be replaced. I checked the prices on the new ones (as he recommended) and they are still around $1350.00 for my model every where. They sure haven't gone down in price , as I had thought they would. Looks like it would be more adventagious for me to repair than to rebuy. He said the parts will be around $200. and then his labor. If I can buy a year or so , it will be well worth repairing. I'm just hoping nothing else majorly expensive could go bad before then. I also checked my warrantee ,as for the magnetron (as he recomended) , and it's only warranteed by GE for 5 years. I'm really glad that I managed to locate my old Sears repair tech. I really trust him. After he left Sears, I dropped all my maintenance agreements , as they ran out. The Tech's they were sending me , as well as the high priced service agreements weren't worth the money. Thank You Again for your honest advice and time.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply