Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
consumer Mel  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 5:51:04 AM(UTC)
consumer Mel

Groups: Registered

Hello. My 10 year old Amana bottom freezer is failing again. Freezer set to lowest setting but barely holding a freezing temperature. Currently at 30 degrees F. Refrigerator is at about 44 degrees. It has been running constantly to maintain those warmer than safe temperatures. The house is air conditioned so it's not because of the heat wave. I took off the back panel yesterday and there was no ice buildup (the usual problem). I replaced the thermostat and defrost timer just last summer. This time, there was a little frost just at the top of the coils but otherwise the coils were frost free. What am I dealing with this time? Is it terminal? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 8:41:44 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: consumer Mel Go to Quoted Post
Hello. My 10 year old Amana bottom freezer is failing again. Freezer set to lowest setting but barely holding a freezing temperature. Currently at 30 degrees F. Refrigerator is at about 44 degrees. It has been running constantly to maintain those warmer than safe temperatures. The house is air conditioned so it's not because of the heat wave. I took off the back panel yesterday and there was no ice buildup (the usual problem). I replaced the thermostat and defrost timer just last summer. This time, there was a little frost just at the top of the coils but otherwise the coils were frost free. What am I dealing with this time? Is it terminal? Thanks for any help you can provide.

You most likely have a restriction in the sealed system"there was a little frost just at the top of the coils but otherwise the coils were frost free". This would be beyond you ability to diagnose or repair be cause of the special tools and equipment needed.

You may want to contact a servicer, and check you factory warranty information.

I hope this helps,
consumer Mel  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 9:02:31 AM(UTC)
consumer Mel

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
You most likely have a restriction in the sealed system"there was a little frost just at the top of the coils but otherwise the coils were frost free". This would be beyond you ability to diagnose or repair be cause of the special tools and equipment needed.

You may want to contact a servicer, and check you factory warranty information.

I hope this helps,

Thanks for your reply. I called a service technician who's coming next week unless I tell them otherwise. I live in Philadelphia. Any ball park idea on repair costs? Should I replace rather than repair in other words? We've had nothing but problems with this appliance and I don't want to throw any more good money after bad. Thanks again! You folks are great.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 10:12:05 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thanks for your reply. I called a service technician who's coming next week unless I tell them otherwise. I live in Philadelphia. Any ball park idea on repair costs? Should I replace rather than repair in other words? We've had nothing but problems with this appliance and I don't want to throw any more good money after bad. Thanks again! You folks are great.

There's no way for me to be exact or even close.
Labor and diagnosis charges vary across the country.

It may be as simple as clearing the restriction and replacing the filter dryer and re charging the system , or as major as an evaporator, filter dryer, capilallary tube(if available) and a re charge.

A reputable servicer will be honest and give you the information (estimate) after he has checked it out.
consumer Mel  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 10:21:04 AM(UTC)
consumer Mel

Ok, thanks for all of your help. Fingers crossed it's minor but I've got a gut feeling to the otherwise. I'm not buying another Amana for years to come even if this one escapes the landfill this time. Take care.
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 2:04:56 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Ok, thanks for all of your help. Fingers crossed it's minor but I've got a gut feeling to the otherwise. I'm not buying another Amana for years to come even if this one escapes the landfill this time. Take care.

You're welcome,
I hope it is a minor , or at least the less expensive option.