Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tc88  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:28:55 AM(UTC)
tc88

Groups: Registered

:( I have a Whirlpool side-by-side model GC5THGXKB00 11/2001 production with a water and ice cube/crushed ice dispenser. The fridge and freezer seem to keep the correct temperature, but I don't keep much food in either compartment.

After several weeks of not using the ice dispenser the bottom of the ice maker (where the auger is located) becomes caked with ice and is frozen and will not allow ice cubes or crushed ice to be dispensed through the chute. The ice crusher auger operates when activated but the unit is frozen up so it does not dispense. Note: The ice maker also continues to make ice as long as it is not full or turned off via the metal bar.

After sliding out the ice maker and defrosting the ice from the bottom of the unit the dispensing feature will operate fine for a while before the icing up occurs.

If the crushed ice dispense feature is used then the bottom of the ice maker where the auger is located tends to freeze up very quickly in a couple of days as the crushed ice is not all dispensed through the chute/door during normal operation and the buildup turns into frozen ice.

Based on what I have read this may a defrost problem but I did not find any posts with this symptom. How do I isolate to the faulty component? Are there any diagnostics I can run to isolate to root cause (defrost timer, defrost heater, defrost thermister, keypad failure) ?

thank you
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.