Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
slgiles2001  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:47:02 AM(UTC)
slgiles2001

Groups: Registered

We have a GE Profile slide-in stove with out the backsplash. Before we got a chance to use it we cracked the top while moving it. We purchased the replacement part #WB62T10542 from Appliance part pros for a phenomenal price $350 instead of the $ 505 that GE wanted. While waiting for the part to arrive (we expect it today) my husband removed a section of the glass but is having difficulty removing the rest as he can't seem to find out how it is actually attached. He thought he removed all of the screws underneath but with the slide in it seems to be connected to the main assembly where the knobs are also attached. So how do we replace it? Thanks for your help!:confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:24:10 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

You need to remove the control assy. Open the oven door, at the bottom of the control assy there are 5 screws, remove those. Now pull off the knobs and unscrew the retaining rings around the switch shafts, should be 3 plastic and one brass. Remove the panel and set aside. Remove the screws holding the metal plate on, should be 4 black 1/4 inch screws. Once those screws are removed, pull the whole panel out and let hang down. This will have all your switches and erc control on it. Now there are 4 more screws that hold the front of the cooktop, unscrew those, disconnect the 2 wire harnesses at the connectors, pull the cooktop twards you and up and it will come right off. FYI some models have 2 screws in the back to hold the cooktop to the rear, but some don't. Now just reverse directions and your ready to go... Let me know if you need more help.
jmurphy918  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:31:34 AM(UTC)
jmurphy918

can yo tell me where you found this part for $350? I cant find for less than 425..thanks
CraiginNJ  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2010 5:48:52 AM(UTC)
CraiginNJ

Thank you, abadfish66. No other forum had instructions for how to get into the control panel assembly on my JS968 series GE range. (They assumed the cooktop wasn't attached by screws to the control panel assembly plastic frame.) Because of your instructions here, I was easily able to get inside to start troubleshooting my F9 error.

The only surprise was the warning label that it is extremely important to set the glass touch reference point after accessing the control area. I couldn't find instructions for that on the 'mini manual' it mentioned. I did see forum discussions saying that ignoring that can result in a LOC rEF error which can usually be cleared by pressing 8 and 6 simultaneously for a couple of seconds. I don't know if merely clearning the LOC rEF error will really be enough, though.

Anyway, thanks for your instructions on how to get into it.
drhadeen  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:48:22 AM(UTC)
drhadeen

Thanks for the info - most complete I could follow. When I ordered the part, they told me I needed to replace the gaskets as well. When I took the top off, I see no gaskets. I ordered these long thin lines of plastic but don't know where to put them. Are they needed?
drhadeen  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:06:01 AM(UTC)
drhadeen

Originally Posted by: CraiginNJ Go to Quoted Post
Thank you, abadfish66. No other forum had instructions for how to get into the control panel assembly on my JS968 series GE range. (They assumed the cooktop wasn't attached by screws to the control panel assembly plastic frame.) Because of your instructions here, I was easily able to get inside to start troubleshooting my F9 error.

The only surprise was the warning label that it is extremely important to set the glass touch reference point after accessing the control area. I couldn't find instructions for that on the 'mini manual' it mentioned. I did see forum discussions saying that ignoring that can result in a LOC rEF error which can usually be cleared by pressing 8 and 6 simultaneously for a couple of seconds. I don't know if merely clearning the LOC rEF error will really be enough, though.

Anyway, thanks for your instructions on how to get into it.

It seems that now I have to move the electrical parts into the new replacement parts area. This doesn't look too complicated, but I'm a girl suffering from girl qualms - any thoughts as to how to do this well?
Thanks
vtoy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:14:20 AM(UTC)
vtoy

Thank you so much, badfish, for giving those fantastic instructions. I just finished replacing the glass top on my slide in GE profile as well as the big element. It took me two hours from start to finish and it is only thanks to your instructions that I managed it. Once again, thank you so much and I wish you and yours the best!
fjc0830  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2016 12:00:47 PM(UTC)
fjc0830

I have a GE slide in stove (about 8 years old) with broken glass stove top. Bought part WB62T10542 and have been following replacement directions here. But, now that I have control panel off and the frame with glass top is free, but I can't see how to remove it. The glass of the new part is affixed to the black metal frame. The heat elements and some wires are connected to the old black metal frame. What gives. Do I have to call a repairperson to change out all those clip/screws? I am at a loss. Thanks.
ggayton  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 2:58:16 PM(UTC)
ggayton

All disassembly has gone well until the last step. I can't figure out how to get the small plastic box to release. I think it's a fuse box. It's a GE Profile model J S905B K3BB
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply