Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LINDAWILDHAGEN  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2008 4:03:58 PM(UTC)
LINDAWILDHAGEN

Groups: Registered

Hi there - I am re-doing an old 1920's(?) cooktop. I first took it to the best appliance place in town - they did not do a good job on it at all. It worked, but barely.

When I got it back from them, I replaced both the bake and broil elements of the oven and everything worked pretty good, except the oven wouldn't preheat. I then had the old burner section removed and replaced it with a new gas cooktop (works great!). We had to disconnect the oven and all the wiring to get the gas cooktop mounted onto the stove body. Now I am trying to re-wire the oven and am flunking badly!

The old oven had a oven thermostat knob asembly (with the sensing probe that went inside the oven and a standard knob to adjust the temperature), a selector switch and a thermostat regulator with a wheel on the outside of the stove. I think the appliance repair firm disconnected the old thermostat regulator and just put in a new oven thermostat assembly, because of the phillips screws in the selector switch and the oven thermostat.

So... now to my questions:
[LIST=1]
  • I cannot use the original thermostat regulator that came with the stove (it is right over the stove burner), shouldn't the oven work with just the selector switch and the oven thermostat assembly?[/LIST]
  • [LIST=1]
  • <LI class=h_mi itxtvisited="1">While I thought I was super careful to mark all the wires, nothing turns on when I wire it. I have used the OHM meter and everything seems to check out, so I might have mis-connected the wires somewhere. How do I know where the wires go? There is no wiring diagram that can be read - it is too faded. Right now, the red and black wires from the power source are going to the oven thermostat assembly. The terminals are numbered 1,2,3,4. A yellow and a blue wire go from the thermostat assembly to the selector switch. The selector switch has 7 terminals - B,C,X,W,Y and two unmarked. One wire from the bake element goes to B, one wire from the broil element goes to C, and two blue and yellow combined wires (from the bake and broil elements) go to a single unmarked terminal. The X is empty, the W has a blue wire going to the thermostat, and the Y has a yellow wire going to the power source. The last terminal is unmarked and it has a yellow wire going to the thermostat. Does this wiring set up make sense? This is now I marked the wires, but after I hooked it all up, nothing worked.
  • After all of this, when I was disconnecting the thermostat from the front of the stove, the piece fell - Does the copper wire wrap around the piece that turns?
  • [/LIST]
    Thank you for any help you can provide - I really need it.

Sponsor
    See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.