Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
captain genius  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2008 1:25:38 PM(UTC)
captain genius

Groups: Registered

so...i spaced out and let an enameled cast iron pot boil dry on my cooktop. it sat there empty on med-high heat for a good half hour to forty-five minutes. needless to say i came back to a ruined pot and stove. there's red enamel cooked into the ceramic top and most importantly, a crack from front to back.

obviously it needs replacement and i know it's not going to be cheap (the part alone is 200+ bucks) but the owner of the stove, my sister, is insistent that once the glass has been replaced, the stove never works the same again. the stove is only three months old so she has every right to be livid but how true are her claims? anyone have any advice? are we going to be dealing with repair nightmare after repair nightmare because of some broken glass?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

SLorenson  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 1:24:06 PM(UTC)
SLorenson

Groups: Registered

We broke our top (dropped something from the above the range microwave) right after we moved into our house. When I checked the warrenty status (you can always hope) it was 6 years since manufacture and since it was clearly caused by us, it was ours to repair. We had it repaired (professionally not D-I-Y) and have not had any seemingly related problems for 7 years.

We had a burner go out a year or so ago, but no reason to think that was related. And this month the circuit board (controls) and thermostat appeared to be toast (hence why I am browsing this forum) But again, no particular reason to think it is related. When I replaced it, I discovered that the brackets holding the touchpad were broken, and the touchpad wasn't solid against the frame. I surmise liquid dripped through and fried the circuit board. (my oldest is 12 and learning to cook independantly, but not necessarily neatly)

The one thing I noticed about the replacement top was the glass seemed to be "different" You could see a pattern of white dots through the glass and it seemed that melted away in the middle of the burner I use most. I would think it wasn't clean, but I have done everything including take a razor blade to it, with no improvement. This never happened with the original cooktop
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply