Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nicehitsam  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 27, 2010 5:05:42 PM(UTC)
nicehitsam

Groups: Registered

When I turn the oven on The igniter glows,and will not lite until i bang on the burner ( I believe this is the burner , well it's the part in the oven section) then it will lite parcially until i give it a big bang and the it will lite fully, sometimes after its lit the flame will go down like its on warm . What can I do besides getting a new one. Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

digitalwoodshop  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:54:03 PM(UTC)
digitalwoodshop

Groups: Registered

What the igniter does is glow very bright and then supply about 3.3 volts to the safety valve that lets the gas in.

When the igniter goes bad, it glows dimmer and only supplies about 2.? volts to the safety valve. Not enough to open it.. But while going bad it can supply enough voltage to turn the gas on for a short period of time and that is the bang you hear..... Not Good....

I had my igniter go bad and when I replaced it the safety valve started leaking by.... As in I turned off the gas and even unplugged to stove and had a flame for a half hour....... Not Good....

So I replaced the Safety Valve and it works properly shutting off the gas.... But a new problem came when the new safety valve was adjusted for Natural Gas and I had 9 inch flames out each side of the burner into the oven....

After a bunch of research and talking to a bunch of parts help people I found the answer myself on line.... My dilemma was the replacement part was the same is all respects except the inner orfice... It was smaller on the old part..... But then I found the real answer.... For my LP Gas setup, I needed to screw the new part offices down onto the inner stud. The inner stud is a 3 lobe Philip's screwdriver tip looking thing... With a hole in the center.... So.... The instructions tell me to screw the orfice down 3 turns so only the center hole shoots out the gas.....

I will install the part tomorrow but I expect that will fix the problem....

So back to your problem.... You could have a Safety Valve going bad too....

I suggest you get a pro to look at your stove.... I fixed my own because I am a Retired Navy and Sony Technician and couldn't resist....

I miss fixing Play Stations....

Here is the valve info...

AL

@aol.com

FACTORY MODEL NC-4125-5 Eaton Bi-Metal Gas Valve. BI-METAL GAS VALVE. The Robertshaw (formerly Eaton) Single Gas Valves are thermal bimetal gas control valves designed for efficient use in gas cooking appliances of various types. They are especially good for home use because they are quiet operating. The oven safety valves with a single outlet are usually used in conventional gas ovens. Because these valves are fully ambient temperature compensated, positive shut-off and repeatability of opening and closing times are assured. They are normally closed, which means they open when voltage is applied. Any interruption in the electrical circuit will cause the valve to close. All thermal bimetal gas valves are design certified for use with natural, LP, manufactured and mixed gases. For LP gas installation, the orifice hood should be screwed down against the hood pin. For natural gas installation, the hood should be backed off two to three turns from the hood pin.
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2022 5:08:22 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thank you. I had the exact same problem and was just about to order a regulator. After screwing the "hood" all the way down the oven works perfectly. No more flames shooting out a foot or so from the burner!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply