Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brigittethompson  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 1:59:32 PM(UTC)
brigittethompson

Groups: Registered

We purchased this dishwasher new and even though we prerinse every item going into it, the dishes still come out dirty. Glasses on the top rack are dirty with what looks like coffee grinds, plates on the bottom have food baked on them and silverware is filmy and has pieces of food on it.

It's disgusting! I've poured over the manual and can't find anything wrong with the installation. The troubleshooting guide did not offer much help.

We are using the appropriate liquid detergent. We are using a jet dry liquid and always make sure the garbage disposal is empty before running the dishwasher.

With this being less than 1 year old, there has got to be something we are missing. Any ideas?

Many thanks!
Brigitte
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 2:15:01 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

Some questions for you....
1. Do you have hard or soft water?
2. How much detergent do you use?
3. Does the detergent you use have jet dry in it, or shine shield?
4. How hot is the water at the sink faucet?
brigittethompson  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 4:50:40 PM(UTC)
brigittethompson

Thank you for reading my post. To answer your questions:

1. Do you have hard or soft water? - Soft water from the town - not a well.
2. How much detergent do you use? - We fill the compartment to the fill line inside so I'm assuming it's the right amount to use.

3. Does the detergent you use have jet dry in it, or shine shield? The detergent is Cascade, but it does not have jet dry in it. There is a separate compartment in the dishwasher for jet dry liquid. We purchase it separately and pour it in that compartment.

4. How hot is the water at the sink faucet? The temp at the hot water tank is 145 degrees. I'm not sure if it cools when it reaches the sink, but the tank is right below the sink - within 4 feet from kitchen floor to top of hot water tank.

We certainly welcome your advice and suggestions! Thanks again!
abadfish66  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 21, 2008 5:29:44 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

Turn the water heater down to about 130, Ge does not recommend temp above 140. If your water if soft, you are using way too much detergent, 2 tablespoons is plenty of soap. Remember, hard water = more detergent, soft water = less detergent. This is probably your biggest problem. Look at the detergent, does the outside say with shine shield, if it does that is the same as jetdry and by using the jetdry in the tank and in the soap, that is a problem. Use either the jetdry in the tank or in the soap, but not both. Also you say you rinse the dishes well before putting them in, by doing this and using too much soap, you are creating a sudsy mess inside the washer, and nothing will get clean. So to highlight,

1. Use 2 tablespoons of soap, and no more. This is plenty.
2. If the cascade has shine shield, get cascade that does not have shine shield.
3. Turn the water heater down to 130-135
brigittethompson  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:13:54 AM(UTC)
brigittethompson

Thank you so much for your ideas. I will give them a try and let you know how it works. Thanks again!
vahomeowner  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2009 7:44:34 PM(UTC)
vahomeowner

Our new, June 2008, GE Profile dishwasher has never cleaned properly. Silverware always has 10 % or more of the utensils with food left on them. Clear glasses now looked "smoked." This is probably the most expensive and poorest dishwasher we've owned in 30 years:mad:

It's in a new house, on softened well water, with a direct line from the hot water heater with temperature at the kitchen tap of 130F. The repairman insisted the water was not hot enough before even showing up -- after months of complaining. When a repairman finally came on site, water temperature in the dishwasher was much lower than that at the tap, and it took 4 cycles to get the temperature to 120F. He left shaking his head and saying he'd "ask around."

Is the water usage so low that the water for each cycle is less than that in the line from the kitchen tap to the dishwasher?? That's only 20 -24 inches; must be just a few ounces of water. Something doesn't make sense!

A dishwasher has one primary function -- clean the dirty dishes. This one doesn't even come close:(

Does anyone know what might be causing this before I yank it out and drop it in the Appliance Store's showroom?
squeakerjg  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 8:58:48 PM(UTC)
squeakerjg

You may have a plugged water inlet valve. If you have hard water, or sediment in your water lines, it can collect in the water inlet valve and cause the dishwasher to not get enough water to properly clean the dishes. Often one this happens you will often find the detergent is not even being washed from the dispenser fully.

To clean the water inlet valve you will need to remove it from the dishwasher. It is typically located behind the lower kick plate panel in either the right or left corner. On my dishwasher (GE Triton XL) I had to remove the front door panel to expose the two screws holding the valve to the frame.

Once you have the unit removed (unplug, remove both water lines, and unscrew from frame), you will need to unscrew the 4 screws to remove the inlet piece. Inside you will find a screen filter that is probably full of sediment.

Hope that helps.
squeakerjg attached the following image(s):
WaterInletValve.jpg
efz  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 1:18:18 PM(UTC)
efz

Originally Posted by: brigittethompson Go to Quoted Post
We purchased this dishwasher new and even though we prerinse every item going into it, the dishes still come out dirty. Glasses on the top rack are dirty with what looks like coffee grinds, plates on the bottom have food baked on them and silverware is filmy and has pieces of food on it.

It's disgusting! I've poured over the manual and can't find anything wrong with the installation. The troubleshooting guide did not offer much help.

We are using the appropriate liquid detergent. We are using a jet dry liquid and always make sure the garbage disposal is empty before running the dishwasher.

With this being less than 1 year old, there has got to be something we are missing. Any ideas?

Many thanks!
Brigitte

We have similar problems since new. At first we thought it was the detergent or Jet wash. So we tried all sorts of detergents but to no avail. Now it is only 2 years old. Food particles somehow bypass the filter and clogg up the holes in the spray arms. They stop turning. I have to clean them out before every washing. This is a very bad design. Worst dishwasher we have ever had. I don't know if there is any other solution. Below is a suggestion for the inlet valve! Nonsense. The valve stays open until the water reaches a certain level even if the flow is slower than normal.
teresaely  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:27:08 AM(UTC)
teresaely

Originally Posted by: brigittethompson Go to Quoted Post

Many thanks!
Brigitte

I know its been some time since your post but did you ever find a solution? I am having the exact problem.
efz  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 3:23:37 AM(UTC)
efz

Originally Posted by: teresaely Go to Quoted Post
I know its been some time since your post but did you ever find a solution? I am having the exact problem.

Nope gave it away for free. No one wanted to buy it for even $75. Got a new Whirlpool with the pot scrubber jets in back. Amazing dishwasher. We forgot how well a proper dishwasher works. Its the last year that Whirlpools have the food macerator. They are going the Bosch route with a user cleanable filter. Only the Kitchen Aid line will continue to have a macerator.

Good Luck!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply