Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brian27  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:57:31 AM(UTC)
Brian27

Groups: Registered

Hi,

In my case, installing a new fan motor did not solve the problem. It was only after also installing a new MCB that I first could see the (new) fan turning.

It's possible that just replacing the MCB will get your original fan turning again - but look at the warning from the pros about using a fan that might be failing. I did NOT go back and test the old fan with the new MCB; it just wasn't worth the risk or bother.

If the fan motor you need is exactly the same model I ordered, I have a lead on one available new replacement motor; but to post details here would not be proper. If you want more info on this, pass along an email address (even a temporary one: hotmail, gmail, etc....), where I can forward the info.

If it all possible, my suggestion is to replace both the fan motor and the MCB at the same time.

While not a technical suggestion, I highly recommend leaving the fridge unplugged until you have the parts. I suspect a faulty MCB may also cause the defrost cycle to fail; my unit left about 1/2 gallon of melted ice in the drip pan. In fact, it looks like that caused the symptoms (warming fridge, extra cold freezer - then both getting warm), that lead to checking the fan. Otherwise, it might have just burned out the compressor due to lack of air flow over the unit.

BRN..
Brian27  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:10:29 AM(UTC)
Brian27

Hi Chris,

I forgot to remind you to make sure we are talking about the same type of design. Mine uses a computer controlled low voltage DC fan motor. If your make/model uses the older style AC fan motor, that's a whole different ballgame.

As you mentioned only two wires, to the fan motor, I doubt if it's the same type I was talking about.

Suggest you submit a new thread with your specifics, if you have doubts. If it turns out your unit uses non-computer controlled fan (AC or DC), you probably have more and cheaper options.

BRN..
Chris A  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:56:10 AM(UTC)
Chris A

Originally Posted by: Brian27 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chris,

I forgot to remind you to make sure we are talking about the same type of design. Mine uses a computer controlled low voltage DC fan motor. If your make/model uses the older style AC fan motor, that's a whole different ballgame.

As you mentioned only two wires, to the fan motor, I doubt if it's the same type I was talking about.

Suggest you submit a new thread with your specifics, if you have doubts. If it turns out your unit uses non-computer controlled fan (AC or DC), you probably have more and cheaper options.

BRN..

Thanks for the info...
barc  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:19:24 PM(UTC)
barc

Originally Posted by: Brian27 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the link, (I assume you mean GE Refrigerator Fan Motor Diagnostics ).

I actually saw that this morning, and read through it. Didn't see it before I was running the VDC tests I did this weekend.

Guess I should run the tests posted by AM. Do you know if all the tests (evaporator, condenser, fresh-food), must be done to find the cause of the problem?

Doesn't the resistance test eliminate the tested fans as defective - I want to be able to return at least one of the two condenser fans sent out by APP. If I know the original fan was not the issue, I can return both; else return the one sent out when they figured the 1st replacement might have been DOA.

I'd like to return/order new parts ASAP. If I can be sure it's not the fans (via the resistance tests), can I assume it must be the main board? If so, should I hold onto the replacement fans, or is it Ok to install a new board with an old fan?

Thanks,

BRN..

I have experienced exactly the same problem as Brian. However, I have not seen an answer to his question about whether it is okay to use a new fan motor that had been tested with the old control board and which subsequently would be installed with a new control board? In other words, does the failed control board cause the motor to burn out or does a failed motor cause the control board to fail or are the failures not interrelated.

Barc
Brian27  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:30:20 PM(UTC)
Brian27

Hi Barc,

My scenario, as it played out, had a new fan installed with the old MCB for something like a week.

When I got the new MCB and installed it, I kept the fan in place - so there didn't seem to be any obvious and immediate damage done to the replaced fan motor. can't say if I was just lucky.

With the new MCB and fan motor, I saw the fan turning for the first time. However, the time the fridge was running with the old MCB, it had been building up ice internally. The clue was very little air through the vents in the fridge section. It might have started doing defrost cycles on its own; but I saw no point in stressing the system - so I unplugged it for several days. I also used a floor fan to supplement the air over the compressor during the initial cool down.

No doubt, this design is not DIY friendly. Good luck with your situation.

BRN..
barc  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:39:10 PM(UTC)
barc

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your prompt reply. My refrigerator is running quite normally as far as I can tell with an external fan blowing over the condenser. It has cooled down and the temps. are all okay - been working this way for a couple of days. Tomorrow I plan to order a new control board and suspect this will solve the problem. Both the new fan moror and the old have the same resistance readings between white and red (about 1.6k) and between white and yellow (many megs.) so I presume the old motor is okay. Open circuit anyway, the output of the control board is 13.6 volts dc on both circuits-don't know what it would be under load. Tough trouble shooting this monster without diagrams and any description how it is supposed to operate. The control board looks a lot easier to change than the fan motor that may not have been the problem all along - such is life.

I am assuming at this point that you got yours running with the installation of a new control board - is that correct?

Again, thanks for your response. I am now retired and have been repairing all my own appliances for fifty years now. Don't want this modern stuff to finally beat me!

Barc
Brian27  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:37:31 AM(UTC)
Brian27

Hi Barc,

You're welcome.

I'd keep an eye out for internal ice build up. When I first installed the new fan motor, the fridge seemed to be working fine, except that I never saw the fan turn. My sister ran the fridge that way (floor fan to cool coils and compressor), for about a week without an apparent problem (fridge and freezer temps holding at set values).

Then the new controller board came in; and I installed that. It was great to see the condenser fan turn when I plugged in the fridge. I had other things to take care of there, so I checked on it from time to time. It seemed to take a long time for the fridge section to cool down. Air flow was minimal through the fridge vents. That's when I guessed that ice had built up inside, blocking the evaporator. The fridge never got down to set temp, and freezer went to -10 (set to 0). I figure the compressor was being called to run full time trying to cool the fridge; but the air just couldn't get there. Air assembly and flap were Ok; so it must have been an internal blockage.

Unplugging the fridge for several days resulted in the drain pan overflowing with melt water. Restart after the defrost went fine - and it's been fine since.

I think I've fixed about every appliance (and computers, VCRs, HVAC, etc...), in my house and for my family, over the years. This was the most frustrating - with the lack of data and procedures to isolate the problem.

You sound old enough to recall when people repaired TV sets. Then they integrated the circuits and it became cheaper to toss and buy new. The "Greener" "Smarter" fridge seems headed in that direction. It's a situation made worse by manufacturers holding back information. Without these forums, I would never have guessed about the need to replace a fan motor and a circuit board as a unit, when basic testing showed no problem with either one!

BRN..
barc  
#38 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:42:12 AM(UTC)
barc

Hi Brian,

Thanks again. Control board should be in Friday. I'll let you know after that how things are working.

Barc
barc  
#39 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2010 6:52:56 AM(UTC)
barc

Hi Brian,

Installed new control board and new condenser fan on Friday and the frige is running like a champ. Thanks to you and others for your helpful info. I am still not convinced you need to install a new fan motor with a new control board given that the old fan checked out resistance-wise just like the new one, but I didn't want to take the risk of not doing so.

Barc
Brian27  
#40 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2010 10:25:30 AM(UTC)
Brian27

Hi Barc,

That's good news. I agree about the frustration in limits on checking out individual parts. Your option to not chance running with the old fan motor, was the advice I got here, and the advice I followed.

My guess is you'd like to have a few words with the engineers that designed this system - get in line!

Thanks for letting me know it worked out for you,

BRN..
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply